Do deleting images from website database will give me 404 error?

Discussion in 'Internet Marketing' started by Jennifer Martin, Jun 1, 2016.

1. Jennifer Martin

Jennifer Martin
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello Friends,

I am having a website built in WordPress, and looking to clean the library, where I came across with some images, which I have not used anywhere in the website and want to delete them. The only concern is will deleting these images give me 404 error in Google webmaster tool?

Do I need to redirect the path of the image I am deleting, to avoid getting 404 error?

2. fisicx

fisicx
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Liaison 1.0

Does google even know the images exist? Copy the image URL into google and see if you get a result.

In any case, deleting the images won't cause any major upsets..

3. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

If you have not used them anywhere on the website, it should not be a problem. A 404 error is a "File Not Found", which occurs when a webpage links to another page that doesn't exist on the server. Since you're not using any of the images, no one should be looking for them. Even if you used the images as a graphic on the page, they simply would not display on the page when it is loaded into the viewer's browser.

4. Oldbuddy

Oldbuddy
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If it's an older site, you may have forgotten where you used it. People don't usually upload images they don't use somewhere. It's true they won't give you a not found error, but they do display an ugly broken image symbol on the page. If you are not short of disk space on your hosting, they do no harm just sitting there and you may find a use for them in the future.