Do Crosswords to Avoid Dementia & Improve Memory!

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by Fergal, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Some newly published medical research reveals that doing crosswords, playing cards and partaking in other mind-stretching activities can have a significant impact in delaying the onset of memory loss and dementia, in old age.

The research found that people who did crosswords 4 days a week had a 47% reduced risk of suffering from dementia, than people who did crosswords only once a week. So get your newspaper or puzzle books out and start doing crosswords. It really goes back to the old adage - "use it or lose it".

You can view more details here on BUPA.

2. DEADMAN

DEADMAN
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Playing mind games or things related to mind knowledge is alot benefit your whole personality. It increases your memory. So, Fergal you've quite good post here. Everybody should do that. I especially like mind games. After all, I'm bored to read newspaper and books except at Internet. ;)

The site is worth viewing. How to reduce dementia risk? It's a serious problem. Everyone should read it. Brain decaying that's very weird.

3. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I've read a similar article on playing games that exercises the brain before and it said that like every muscle in our bodies, we should also exercise our brains. As the saying goes, "If you don't use it, you'll lose it!".

I think that doing crosswords is good not just because of the challenge but you will also improve your vocabulary. Aside from crosswords, I think we should also do some math puzzles like sudoku and try to compute simple sums and products on our own without the aid of a calculator. How many of us still remember their multiplication table? What is 8x7? 6x8?

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I'd agree with that and have noticed that my ability to do mental arithmetic declined quite quickly when I started using calculators and spreadsheets. Now I make an effort to do more calculations in my head and then check them with a calculator if required. It's a little frightening for me to think that my mathematical ability will probably never be as good again, as it was say 10 years ago.

5. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think that's the reason why still need to do these exercises. The advantage of playing games is that our minds always associate it with having fun which is positive. Everyone knows that our ability to learn is better when we have a positive mental attitude. However, the idea of doing simple maths on our heads when buying stuff is, more often than not, considered as a waste of time since you can just use the calculator on your cellphone.

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I've been playing round with a Rubix cube recently. Hopefully that will help to keep my mind agile as I move into old age :)

7. DEADMAN

DEADMAN
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Try playing many games Fergal. This is one part that is saving only one cell of your brain. Try to save many. ;)

By the way, Old age reminded me of Age of Mythology, it's very nice Mind game.

8. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

When you get to my age, every cell counts :)

I don't play computer or PC games, I spend enough time looking at monitors, for business.

9. TimeRider

TimeRider
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Not only physical games but mental games are needed to improve physical and mental health. You should use the body and mind as well. Like in game Football, a player using his physical fitness to run and shoot the ball as well as he uses his mind to dodge, tackle and shoot the ball at a direction to make a goal.

10. trekker

trekker
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yeah I believe that the brains neurons die when you don't use it. To keep it sharp, you must always sharpen it, and you can do so by feeding it with new challenges or exercises. Though not all thoughts are helpful. Crosswords for one is helpful because logic is being practiced. Other productive hobbies that lets you enrich your life is helpful for the brain. They only go hand in hand. The way to live healthy and richly is to live right, think right, do right.

11. darkgray101

darkgray101
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Really? What I thought was doing more mental things will lessen my memory cells. So its the other way around. Now I am informed. Maybe I will learn chess in the next few days. Actually, I dont have any sport at all. All I do is sit infront of a computer all day long. Bad for me.

12. oriloca

oriloca
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree with fergal. It really does help avoid dementia or even Alzheimers. This will keep your mind active. Idle minds are the one who most of the time get this kinds of diseases.

13. mine210

mine210
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm also into playing Rubix cubes these days that's aside from my regular hobby of answering crossword puzzles. I guess these mind games are really a big help to make improve our memories.

14. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Your brain is similar to the muscles in your body, in that the more you use it the stronger it will be. Use it or lose it and Practice makes perfect, are phrases that come to mind.

15. MicroKannon

MicroKannon
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I prefer Sudoku over crosswords ne day. But in all honesty I don't have time to do either. Im either reading, viewing forums, or playing Halo. Every now and then I find someone to play tennis with, but no one likes losing. So its hard to find someone.

16. bamrahkirti

bamrahkirti
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes it is very true,the more we use our brains,the more sharper they become.