Do any of you run offline businesses?

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by Jay., Mar 8, 2013.

1. Jay.

Jay.
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm aware that quite a few members of this forum are currently running online businesses. I am curious, however, if any members are running businesses that operate completely offline?

Please let me know and if you wouldn't mind sharing what kind of business you run, I'd be grateful.

• Like Like x 1
  2. PS9

PS9
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I do online myself, selling physical goods, but there's quite a few people I know that do only offline businesses.

Simplest is probably buy stuff at wholesale, go to a swap meet, and sell the stuff. -- But the list is virtually endless. Doughnut shop, Pizza parlor, most any food business really doesn't need to be online unless they deliver. Supermarkets, alcohol stores, cigar shops, clothes shops; you basically go down the list until you get to drug trades. -- Ultimately if you're dealing with physical products what you do can be done entirely offline; can it be done well? Maybe, maybe not. The only business that would have to be online is if you run a website like Facebook because your product is online. The guy selling car parts online can do it offline too.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Rocky

Rocky
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Our offline business and online business are one and the same. They are interdependent.

4. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Offline business is necessary if you are in India where still online business is in its native stage....I do freelancing offline too...

5. Ted

Ted
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I run an IT business installing and supporting local area networks for businesses.

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Do you mind me asking what type of freelancing you do scifi?

I hope it's going well for you Ted. Do you do all the work yourself or do you have employees?

7. TimeRider

TimeRider
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I haven't done any offline Business yet. But I am thinking of one. My all business currently are online business.

8. Jay.

Jay.
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for letting me know about your businesses guys, like Fergal I'd be interested to know a little more about them.

Yes, I think these days online businesses are just easier; anyone can set one up and start making a profit straight away. Good luck if you do decide to go ahead with your offline business.

9. Ted

Ted
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I've been doing it since 1995. Some years are great. Some are not so great depending on many factors.

I no longer have employees. I only use contractors now because employing people in New York state is an expensive pain in the ass. Regardless of how New York tries to paint itself as being a business friendly state, anyone who has personally dealt with the bureaucracy (in our state capital of Albany, NY) knows that this state is not at all business friendly.

Running a business with employees is exponentially harder than running a business without them.

• Like Like x 1
  10. williamjames732

williamjames732
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I don't have offline business. But I think offline business is more difficult to operate as compared to the online business.

11. Biz

Biz
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I co-run a non profit mostly offline, if that counts as a business :) It does have its business side, and yes, it is difficult to run it offline and especially difficult as a non profit in this economy. But we are trying to persist on...

It is on helping people, especially children, to improve their wellbeing.

• Like Like x 1
  12. RaySaj2

RaySaj2
    uix_expand uix_collapse

interesting to see that most are physical stores.....probably all local businesses can operate offline.....

13. deckd19

deckd19
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Not now..
    But soon I'll start:)

14. Ethan32

Ethan32
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am near to start a business. Right now i am working offline that i dont have any shop any land. I just have products and machines for pest and termite control. but now willing to start a business and also make it online to get more clients

15. a4creations

a4creations
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am doing a online business (means getting business from internet) . Because i am doing this business individually so this you can say it my offline business...

16. StrivOlogy

StrivOlogy
    uix_expand uix_collapse

We are both. We started offline. We offer credit card processing.