Diversity Can Make You More Effective & Sexy

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by Clint Cora, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Clint Cora

Clint Cora
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Diversity is a major issue in our society these days. Inclusion and equity are important factors to promote in many companies. However, sometimes we approach this as just another boring, politically correct topic that doesn't always grab attention from the public and media. In other words, diversity to many people just doesn't seem to be a very sexy topic.

However, diversity can certainly become a sexy topic because personal skills developed in this area can indeed make a person more attractive and sexy. This is a point I make in all my diversity talks and I prove this by involving the audience in a really fun way.

I tell the ladies in the audience that I will present profiles of two different men. Bachelor number one likes sports and drinks beer. He's known as the 'Sports & Beer' guy. He loves sports so much that if given the chance, he will ramble on and on with NFL (National Football League) or NBA (National Basketball Association) statistics all night long during a date. He won't want to talk about anything else once he starts talking about sports.

The Sports & Beer guy is also a typical 'meat and potatoes' type of man, preferring to stick with very standard cuisine with a few bottles of beer of course. The Sports & Beer guy will not be willing to venture into any ethnic restaurant and doesn't know too much about other cultures. He hasn't traveled outside of North America much.

Bachelor number two also like sports and beer. However, unlike bachelor number one, he has traveled to many different places around the world. He has been exposed to many different foreign cultures, people, food, customs and languages. He might even be able to speak a foreign language. This man is definitely more 'worldly' than the first one.

Unlike the Sports & Beer guy, the Mr. Worldly enjoys experiencing ethnic cuisines and feels very comfortable in any ethnic restaurant. He does like a good steak every now and then but also likes to try out many other types of food from different cultures.

I then ask the women to choose which bachelor they think would be a more interesting date based on just these characteristics of the two men. And not surprising, most ladies in my audiences always overwhelmingly vote in favor for Mr. Worldly.

This proves that if a man immerses himself with culture and develops the diversity skills to be able to interact well with people from different cultures, he will probably be considered more sexy than other men who are much more narrow in their cultural exposures. A diverse environment will allow a person to experience many different cultures if one is willing to.

This will work both ways as well since more cultured and sophisticated women can also appear sexier than those who are not adventurous enough to appreciate diversity in their lives. Let's face it, anybody who has experienced the world is always more interesting to talk to compared to somebody who hasn't ventured out of the home state or province. This proves that diversity is sexy.

Being effective in a diverse working environment can be beneficial to both your career and personal life. Just food for thought and I welcome your comments.

• Like Like x 2
  2. NikiRebin

NikiRebin
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for the post, Clint! Very interesting food for thought.... and I happen to agree with you 100%!

So aside from the benefits of world travel including increased knowledge and adventure, you also gain sex appeal! It's certainly a good motivator to get out there and experience the world! My father was a diplomat, and I've been awarded foreign scholarships in university, so I've lived all over the world and I can tell you that travel WILL make you a better person. You get to look into so many different cultures, and understand the way people think. If more people experienced other countries, or at least made themselves open to the idea, there would be far fewer cultural misunderstandings and prejudices around.

Thanks again for the great post!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Clint Cora

Clint Cora
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Travel is great. For those who don't have the means for much travel, there are still many options to increase one's exposure to diversity right in one's own region. It's just a matter of making some effort to get out there and experience them.

4. Gary Barzel

Gary Barzel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree with you on the last point but not necessarily on your first points. The example you gave is really an unfair example to try and prove your point. After all it only proved that a sports and beer guy won't win first choice over someone with a little more class so to speak. If you were to have given the choice of someone that traveled and has experienced many different cultures, to someone that hasn't really traveled, but is an intelligent, and sophisticated as well as worldly kind of guy, I don't think the traveler would necessarily win.

I have met people that are very well knowledgeable in many different cultures, because they take an interest in it, and they make it their business to learn about people and other cultures, and they have never traveled to other countries. Although you're right that someone that does travel is introduced to more diversity than one who doesn't. But someone who makes it their business to learn and experience all of it from their own country they too are at an advantage.

5. Clint Cora

Clint Cora
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for your comments Gary. For the example of the Sports & Beer Guy, it is not my own personal opinion. This is from an audience vote I conduct at every single diversity talk that I do. I make a point that the two candidates are just as intelligent, good looking and all the other nice stuff except for the one fact that one if more worldly. That's the only main difference between the two guys. Then I let the ladies choose. Every single time I've done this, the results are always the same. So my main conclusion is that there's absolutely nothing wrong with Sports & Beer. But the addition of diversity skills will always enhance a person's attributes from the point of view of others -- again, all other things between these two candidates equal.

I also agree that one can most definitely learn a lot about other cultures right in their own communities. This is one of the great things about diverse environments. For example, in my hometown of Mississauga, which is next to Toronto, we have a multicultural festival each May. There are over 60 countries represented and one can learn so much as well as be entertained by so many idifferent cultures in one weekend.

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Off Topic: Clint are you familiar with Sault Saint Marie at all? I had the pleasure of visiting that area a few years ago.

7. Gary Barzel

Gary Barzel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thank you for your response. From the way you described bachelor number one there doesn't seem to be much of an appeal to the ladies, even in comparison to a regular guy that's not cultured. Which woman would want to spend a date talking about sports from beginning to end? And if he won't want to talk about anything else other then sports once he starts, I'm pretty sure that would be the clincher in turning away any potential dates at all. This is just my opinion on the matter, but again thank you for your response.

8. Clint Cora

Clint Cora
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, I've been up there. What were you doing there Fergal?

9. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Clint, I previously worked with a local enterprise development agency here in Ireland. The county I'm from signed a friendship agreement with Sault Saint Marie and I travelled over there with some businesses from here, in an initiative to promote business and local authority connections between the two areas. I loved the area and the people we met there, we also travelled to some of the surrounding areas such as Wawa and the First Nation reserves. It really was an excellent and most memorable experience that I'm very grateful to have had the opportunity to participate in.

10. Clint Cora

Clint Cora
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Did you fly through Toronto and then catch a small connector flight to SS Marie? If so, did you spend any time in Toronto?

11. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I was afraid you'd ask me something like that :( our original plans were to spend some time in Toronto. But our trip was during the time of the SARS outbreak there. Although, we didn't feel that there was a very serious danger, it was not practical / possible for us to ask others to travel to Toronto at a time when it was featuring a lot on the news due to a health scare. As a result we travelled from Dublin to Chicago, to Traverse City and from there to Sault Saint Marie.