Distributorship 101

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by Liftsmarter, Aug 27, 2013.

1. Liftsmarter

Liftsmarter
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Howdy,
    I’m looking to expand our engineering firm in a manner like Motorola has done, by allowing some of our clients to become distributors of our lifting systems. Unfortunately, I have NO idea how to go about it. There are a plethora of books and web resources on Manufacturer – Distributor agreements but I have not been able to find ANYTHING more detailed than this. I would very much appreciate any advice or links to possible resources. Thank you.

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Perhaps it is possible to keep it really simple? Just speak to your clients who might be interested and capable of re-selling your products, ask them if they would be interested in reselling and explain how much you would sell the product to them for and how much they should be able to resell it for.

Is there anything specific that concerns you or that is preventing you from progressing with this?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Liftsmarter

Liftsmarter
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thank you Fergal,

Perhaps not, if it is that simple I'll start there. I just assumed that there would be complex legal steps to setting up distribution rights, zones and such. I’m actually hoping to try selling in this manner in the UK ASAP. Perhaps you wouldn’t mind sharing some of your insights with a Texan of Irish descent, looking to bring some business to the old country?

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

A lot depends on what type of scale you are doing it on Liftsmarter. If you are doing it on a large scale you could have a legal professional draw up a distribution agreement for you. If it's on a smaller scale you could simply sell your product to resellers who would sell it on, on your behalf.

I live in Co Louth, Ireland. We are not part of the UK :)

Do you have a website for your business, so that I can get an idea of the types of products you are selling.

5. Liftsmarter

Liftsmarter
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Of course you aren't! Boy is my face red. I'll try again... I'd like to sell to The freestate of Ireland as well as the UK :)

Initially we would begin small but, with hopes of successand the ability to facilitate growth. You can take a look at us at CCRLT.com & my email is [email protected]

• Like Like x 1
  6. X4B

X4B
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You can look for Distributing agency or collaborate with Ebay/Amazon to sell it.

7. Changed Creation

Changed Creation
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Hi Liftsmarter
    I think you should think of this as you would when you start a new business and focus a lot of thought on what the ideal client looks like, what problems having your "product" to distribute, this will solve, and what advantages having your product (in terms of solutions), would provide them in with regards to their current business. Keep us posted!