Dissolving a business partnership when your partner is your fiance

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by ljcbad, May 31, 2014.

1. ljcbad

ljcbad
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello everyone, I'm hoping someone can help. I'll try to keep it short.

Back in November of 2012, I was laid off from my job that I only had for 9 months. It was my first "real" post college job after a string of unpaid internships. I reluctantly agreed to start a business with my fiance. I really didn't want to, but he kind of pressured me into it.

I have a background in marketing and my goal was to work for a non profit. I absolutely have zero interest in what we do (an eBay ecommerce store), but it is the business he wanted to start and it has been relatively successful. Meaning, it is successful enough that we haven't gone under yet, but I haven't been able to earn a salary yet either.

I spend 10 + hours a day, including most weekends, doing things I hate. I am absolutely miserable. We don't socialize, we don't go out, we don't really do anything but work or talk about work.

I'm afraid i won't be able to get back into the career I wanted because I have spent 1 1/2 years doing this while my competition has spent the time getting relevant work experience. Sure, there is some opportunity to practice my marketing skills but not much. Most of my time is spent doing operational/administrative work. There really isn't time for me to do anything else.

I just want out. I want to walk away from this misery.

I also don't want to be in the personal relationship anymore, but it is impossible to break it off with someone when you are 10 ft away from them 24/7.

However, if I leave the business it will probably fail. There is no way my fiance can handle all the work himself. There is no money to hire someone to fill my place. He's in $20,000 debt from this business that he won't be able to pay back. Even though I don't want to marry him anymore, I still care about his financial well being.

But the longer I stay, the more time in my own life I waste and the harder it will be to get a job I enjoy. I'm also going into credit card debt because I haven't earned hardly any money from all my work.

I don't want any ownership in the business. I don't want money. I don't even expect to get the money I put in (about $3,000) back. I just want to move on with my life.

How can I do this? Is it fair/right?