Disposable emails

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by Kay, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Ever use these services? They can be useful if all you want to do is register somewhere and that's it. This particular one gives you one that lasts ten minutes. Time enough to get a verification email of your registration 99% of the time.

http://www.10minutemail.com/10MinuteMail/

2. ShawnLim

ShawnLim
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Huh? I don't really know how it works. :)

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Shawn the site gives you a disposable email that you can use for registering on a website you don't trust. Once you give someone the disposable email address you can then view emails sent to that disposable email address on the disposable email site, e.g. at http://www.10minutemail.com. Hence, you can get your username and password details without having to worry about receiving any spam to your own email address.

You can see a full explanation here.

4. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Wow, its an amazing site ..But I am afraid can be used for both good & bad intentions..!!!
    However I will call it an INNOVATION indeed.Cheers!!!:D

5. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Chances are that it would be used more for bad than for good. No longer will people create a bogus or temporary email just so that they can access illegal websites or those with mature content. They can save themselves some time by just using these disposable emails. :)

6. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yeah, even I also had same thoughts in mind while writing down that post yesterday,,You have illustrate the same in a very right direction..But again every thing has its own pros & cons...We have to accept them in the same way & let try our best to not use them with bad intentions..:)

7. ShawnLim

ShawnLim
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I see...
    Sometimes I'll just simply key in email in order to get something
    that has been promised from a website.

8. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

But keying in any email won't work if the website requires verification Shawn. Most will send a link to activate your account so if you just enter a random email, you won't be able to see the email activation mail. With the disposable email, you will now be able to activate your account.

9. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Disposable emails are generally not good news for forum owners. When a spammer's account is banned and they can no longer use their registration email address, they can very easily and quickly visit a disposable email address site and pick up another email address.

10. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Fergal I am quite sure that you will devise some way out of this problem ......
    BTW in this particular disposable email as per my observation..you can clearly reject the application of users who have bsnow.net IDs..likewise we can build a database of all such emails application.;).Moreover these type of applications are not yet too popular..:rolleyes: .SO till then we can relax & use the time to equipped ourself with some resolution of the same..

11. ShawnLim

ShawnLim
    uix_expand uix_collapse

True enough. Some websites require confirmation. :)

Not likely, for some forums, you can post even if you did not confirm
    the registration. Meaning, people can still spam.