Disheartened by my SEO ranking

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by enriqbell, May 11, 2010.

1. enriqbell

enriqbell
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am totally dejected and disheartened by my SEO ranking. I admit I was focusing on a fairly tough key phrase. However, the content was engaging!

I had written an article for a sales recruiting agency. I personally loved it. It was nothing short of remarkable. I am being really frank and candid about it. I ranked in the top 30, it’s great I know. It is no mean feat to rank 30 out of a million people out there! But this hardly means anything to me.

If someone types in ‘agencies’, I rank on the third page. If they type in ‘agency’, I rank on the fourth. Frankly speaking, I was hoping to reach the top. It is my personal opinion that Google is biased to older sites. I created a group of anchor text back links to the page through linkadage - about $40 worth to know if I could rank high for this difficult keyword.

So, apart from inter linking and external linking, do I need to update the site on a daily basis? Should I sit back and wait? What do you think about it? Any suggestions? Can someone enlighten me on this?

2. DavidL

DavidL
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I made an article on SEO patience and it explains that having results aren't really what you want now. You want to maintain your sites stability and not appear to "die" over time. Appearing like you will be there 5 years down the track is your goal and having a goal will help you quite a lot.

It is a time consuming task of off-page SEO, however you'd want the same result 5 years down the track and probably be more stable than those who quickly rank for whatever reason. You should also update your content, and have internal linking.

Gaining backlinks through forums, blogs and RSS feed submissions are good ways in getting your site strong, as well as anchoring them with consistent phrases, for your SERPs. Again, its about being patient and following up on the latest news about optimizing your site and gaining web traffic.

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

No need to be disheartened enriqbell, as dotDavid says SEO takes time and patience. "Agency" is a very competitive term and your expectations were too high if you expected to rank on the first page of Google, by writing one article and spending $40 on links. If you keep adding quality content to your site and building back links to it, you will creep up the search engine rankings.

4. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I suggest you don't be sad at all. At least you ranked on top 30 among millions of sites.
    Like the two persons above me states, SEO takes a lot of time to see really good results. Besides, your term, which is agency, is very common. So it will be hard to rank higher.

As long as you love what you are doing, don't be disheartened. Just enjoy it and will will definitely see the results of your hard work on the right time. :thumsup:

5. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you ask my opinion, i will suggest to study on the long tails keyword than focus on the single keyword. There are too many type of "agency", mean you are facing too many competitor from different type of "agency". Although you get listed at the top, your traffic is not targeted enough.

As i can see you already done a great job. What you need to do is study on the long tails keyword such as "sales recruiting agency" or other related keyword and optimize it like what you did previously. Long tails keywords able to reduce the amount of the competitor and generate more targeted traffic.

6. joeldavis

joeldavis
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Sigma is dead on: redirect your efforts into different keywords, more specifically, keywords you want people to take action on, whether it's signing-up for something or buying something. "Agency" and "agencies" are too broad and not "money words" (words that make you money). Writing for "sales recruiting agency" or "sales recruiting" would get you more qualified prospects. "Agency" will get you a boatload of conspiracy theorists who think the Central Intelligence Agency killed Kennedy as well as people looking for an employment agency.

Obviously, you've got the goods if you can rank on the 4th page out of 304 million results. I suggest you refocus your SEO efforts into more specific keywords that would draw specific a type of person that would be interested in your sales recruiting agency. A fast track to do that would be a combination of excellent content, as you've already started, high PR link building, a 3-blog link wheel on different servers that point to your main site, plus create a 3 minute video and submit it to the different video directories. You can outsource most if not all of that for a reasonable fee, though I wouldn't delegate creating the content if you can write something that gets placed 41st out of 304,000,000.

Dude, don't be disheartened. You accomplished quite a bit for a very generic term.

7. KhyleA.

KhyleA.
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, I think it is better to update your site. But you can do it on a weekly basis instead of daily. If your keyword is difficult, you can try finding long-tailed keywords or keywords with at least 3 words.

8. aries07

aries07
    uix_expand uix_collapse

SEO work may require some time to be effective, well as for your site it is a good idea update it regularly

9. Adam_Ly1983

Adam_Ly1983
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, I agree with them. Go for long-tailed but competitive keywords. Update your site continuously, but I won't go over it on a daily basis, maybe just 3 times a week. Always submit articles to article publication sites like Ezine Articles, Docstoc and Article Alley.

The way that Google ranks each site is difficult to know and it continuously changes, you need to be able to go with the flow. So every once in a while try to update yourself with the current trends in SEO - tools, techniques and etc.