Directory submission

Discussion in 'Internet Marketing' started by Ricus, Aug 27, 2012.

1. Ricus

Ricus
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Directory submission is one of the basic parts of Search Engine Optimization and every webmaster should definitely start submitting the website to various directories. This is a simple way to get backlinks and it mostly only takes a few seconds to submit your website.

2. malim

malim
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Absolutely right..

3. rangrage

rangrage
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes this is a very important tool for marketing online, but many people overlook its potential.

Directories are a collection of websites organized into strict categories. This allows visitors to directories to find exactly what they are looking for quickly. There are 3 main types of directories; Paid, Free but require you to have a reciprocal link, Free with no reciprocal link.

Here is a list of the top 100 directories which I personally use:

http://info.vilesilencer.com/top/

• Like Like x 1
  4. Business Attorney

Business Attorney
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Most SEO experts I read disagree strongly with this quote unless you are talking about highly focused and selective directories, which usually cost a lot of money.

Most people, when they read this advice, think of general web directories like www.bestseo101.info. There are thousands of those free directories and some services will submit your site to hundreds of them for a relatively small fee. When I started my website, I posted to a few directories several times a week. Most of them never even show up as backlinks when you check Google or Alexa. Even if they do, the internal pages usually have a page rank of 0. Even if the internal pages on which your link appears has some small page rank of 1 or 2, the page will usually have dozens of other out bound links (OBLs) which means that any link juice is nearly non-existent.

Further, I check my Analytics and almost never see a directory as a referring source. When was the last time you ever saw a general purpose directory in the search results unless you were specifically searching for a directory? If no one finds them in the search results, then they are certainly not going to be following them to your site.

I think that general directories are almost a complete waste of effort. I wish I could take back all the time I spent on submitting to directories and use that time for more productive purposes.

• Like Like x 4
  5. patrick0001

patrick0001
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Directories is devalue because most of visitors are webmaster instead of reader. So we are hardly expected a referral traffic. Pay directory like BOTW, Yahoo, Business.com also lack of readership, because those listing are limited to pay link and not targeting locally.

Only directory which have real readership will be consider as trust backlink, and potential to get referral traffic. e.g. technorati, bloggers.com, yelp, dmoz, yellow pages...

• Like Like x 1
  6. UTMediaGroup

UTMediaGroup
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree, directories are not very efficient for building quality backlinks anymore. I suggest you focus on social bookmaking, article marketing, blog commenting, guest post blogging...

7. Thanoz

Thanoz
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Pretty much as Business attorney said, you need to be selective on which TARGETTED directory to submit your websites.
    You could alternatively focus on profile link building and social bookmarking as well as article directories.

8. cjarrodsnow

cjarrodsnow
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Wow- :) haha... this is an emotional rollercoaster of a thread... haha.. First thread I was like Yes, new direction and focus... then *SQUASH* *STOMP* next thread comes along and says NOPE, don't go there... as a newbie, I look to everyones input, in particular those that seem to have been around a while... thanks for providing your experience! One of the greatest mistakes a person can make is to ignore the advice that comes from experience and wisdom!

9. sirfpaisa

sirfpaisa
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This is best way to for indexing & get traffic & back links for website...

10. raksha

raksha
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi,
    When submitting to directories,focus has to be on high PR directories and specifically relevant categories pertaining to your niche.

Thanks.

11. malim

malim
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you have High PR directories please share with us.

12. printingray

printingray
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, but in bulk it is called spamming. Directory submission is good but in pretty small amount on high PR directories.

13. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

14. apsarabanu

apsarabanu
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi everyone,
    Directory submission has been always effective , Directories boost your SERP's SEO and ranking among all search engines, submit in quality web directories and for sure you will see good results.

15. Jason520

Jason520
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yeah, you are right.
    Directory submission is effective way to set up the backlinks system.

16. deltamarketing

deltamarketing
    uix_expand uix_collapse

yes you are right about directory submission.

17. Catherine

Catherine
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Directory submission aims to submit one`s own website to web directory in order to bring some external links and get more traffic. it can be classified by different types and convenient for users to find the related websites there. there are some basic information about each website and some snapshot to show the web.

18. amitmax

amitmax
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Quality directories are Ok but I will not recommend this work now.Because there are lot of new spamy directories are available now.Link submission of your website on those directories can harm your website ranking.So be aware from such directories and use only high PR and reputed directories.

19. Crystallaneding

Crystallaneding
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The features of directories: Free submission. Reciprocal link. No Reciprocal link. Paid submission. Featured listing. Bid for position.

20. blingcityusa

blingcityusa
    uix_expand uix_collapse

High PR Directory submission is very good for getting high PR.