Directory Submission Software

Discussion in 'Internet Marketing' started by Fergal, Nov 11, 2010.

1. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Would you recommend any directory submission software?

2. bottomcarline

bottomcarline
    uix_expand uix_collapse

website submitter.
    GSA Auto Website Submitter.
    these all the best directory submission software.

3. DavidL

DavidL
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Probably not. You'd potentially get your email being spammed by auto submission services. Also, you wouldn't get much out of it. Since web directories are for the user, unknown directories will probably not get found by the user, so it would be unnecessary.

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for that David. Can I take it that you recommend manual submission to only a small number of high quality directories?

5. navast2010

navast2010
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have never use this kind of software, but I need one

6. ecoman

ecoman
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Excellent reply.

I'd add look for quality directories in your niche and the more well known general directories.

I'm no expert but if you visit a few SEO service sites, matt cutts and the google 'vague relies r us' webmaster site they all say the same.

It's worth paying to get into quality directories.

7. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I thought that using directory submission software counted against you in Google's eyes too because there's a sudden leap in backlinks to you. I could be wrong though, Fergal. It wouldn't be the first time. :D

ecoman, what would you consider to be quality directories? (Nice avatar, btw)

8. forum.wedost.com

forum.wedost.com
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I will suggest only to submit those directories which are having good PR because Google only consider those directories only. There are lots of spam directory. It will hardly take 1-2 mins to submit one website in one directory. So, Always manual submission is best.

9. telxcomputers

telxcomputers
    uix_expand uix_collapse

this is not ethical way to link building by the any software, manual way best for increase the backlinks.

10. freelancemom

freelancemom
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree. Directory submissions should be done by hand and unless they are high quality, niche specific (or local) directories -- I wouldn't waste my time.

11. PaulPinnacle

PaulPinnacle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Can't speak for David, but for me.. 100%.

(Worth noting that if/when you get links in the high profile directories, you'll end up being syndicated/scraped/copied into a fairly large number of medium and low quality directories too, so further submitting to these lower quality ones tends to have a potentially nasty impact on your overall link profile)

Don't get me wrong, I'll be the first to admit that many sites still rank well (in low competition verticals) on 'questionable' directory links. I'm not suggesting that they "pass 'no' value", some will/do. It's the long term impact/benefit of it that would always concern me, especially given the abuse they have received in the past and continue to recieve. I'd never be willing to waste a clients time/money (or my own) on something that probably won't benefit them in the long term.

Matt Cutts made some very honest and candid admissions at the recent PubCon event. He was open enough to admit that google has suffered a lot recently from spammy/questionable sites appearing too commonly in the SERPs. He was also honest enough to admit that a large part in this was that many of the search quality team were being pulled away from working on this area to focus on other projects, something that is now being addressed and actively tackled (hints at some significant changes to come down the line, so expect some significant algorithm tweaks to come from google).

To be honest, there normally isn't that sudden a peak in your profile. The scuzy/crappy/low quality directories are viewed as being of low quality and as a result are crawled fairly infrequently. By the time the spiders get to hitting the specific internal (potentially fairly deep) page your link is on, it could take a fairly significant amount of time (e.g. you submit to 200 crappy sites, only 90 actually get indexed and these get spread out over a couple of weeks before they're actually found - not that you'd really notice much though, as they'd be providing such little value). Having said that, there is a risk there and something to be aware of if considering going down that route.

I tend to agree with the vast majority of the points raised in this thread. Despite the age, it's still a good list of factors to consider when weighing up a directory.

12. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

That's a great article. I particularly like the tips he gives on how to set up a quality directory, it's something I've been thinking about recently. Thanks for sharing that.

13. PaulPinnacle

PaulPinnacle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Worth doing a quick search on SEOmoz for other directory related content. There are a few superb articles there (if I remember correctly, Rand got into some VERY heated debates with a number of directory owners, so the topic got a lot of attention) and I seem to remember a good whiteboard Friday video on the topic too.

14. webtutor

webtutor
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have been used so many directory submitters and based on my experiences it's not worth! Manual submission are the best, it's a White hat! Don't Practice, Black hat!

15. rakebackblogger

rakebackblogger
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I got a spam email about this product Internet Business Promoter, so during my 30mins time alotted to doing things outside my daily work tasks(thanks for the tip fergal!) I checked it out and downloaded the demo software. The full software cost is $250. Its actually a pretty impressive piece of software and I wonder has anyone hear heard /used it? The reason I post it here is that they have a semi automatic directory submission tool. Now this only comes with the full package, but the demo allows you to input your keyword and it then searches for directories and other websites that you could possibly get relevant backlinks. I had it set to returning 40 sites(mostly directory) and out of the 40 I got 5 sites which were relevant and page rank 3+.

I actually nearly impulse bought the software to be honest... It had some great tips and advice about keywords and page optimisation. (by the way I am not affiliated with this product, hence I did include a link - just google the name if you want to download the demo.. I ended up spending more than 2 hours testing out the demo..

16. PaulPinnacle

PaulPinnacle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

IBP, it's normally referred to by the acronym if you're looking to find comments/reviews, is a very popular tool and very much one of the market leaders.

I'd suggest avoiding the automatic submission side of things, but the automatic 'searching' or 'suggestion' tools are great if you then manually review the results to make selections. It's a long time since I've done a direct comparison (so potential out of date a little and the offerings might have changed since), but at the time I found that the 'free' version of WebCEO was preferable to the free version of IBP (I can't even remember now what limitations were on the IBP demo, is it functionality or time based limits? - I didn't compare the paid versions simply as I don't use either for commercial purposes and was investigating them in terms of which was best placed to help out users not willing to pay for a service like this). Again potential for it to be dated by now, but taking the analysis a step further I also found that any of the information that was possible through any of the 'paid tools' (at least then, I don't believe they have changed significantly in the mean time but I could be wrong) could be gathered using a combination of free tools on the market, the only negative here was the extra time/effort of using multiple free tools vs. having them 'all in one' with a paid tool.

Be sure to check out what recurring fees are in place with any software you might buy (they often aren't clearly labelled up front, so do plenty of research) and try to avoid being overly reliant on any 'automated' tools to help with SEO (or with many activities). While these tools can be great to flag and highlight high level issues for attention and automate a number of number crunching tasks, they are no substitute for the type of detailed and specific analysis only a human can perform (you know your users far better than any 'tool' does). Having said that, these tools can be helpful in monitoring performance and if you believe the time they can save you warrants the cost associated, then either IBP or WebCEO do come with solid reputations.

(I might suggest having a look at the free versions of WebCEO and WebsiteAuditor [along with one of the add on tools 'SEO Spyglass'] before making an investment. They might fill your needs even at the limited information available in the free versions)

17. rakebackblogger

rakebackblogger
    uix_expand uix_collapse

functionality limited..

18. Sumit Temb

Sumit Temb
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for reply m looking for top rated PR site .also how to add Paypal on my site

19. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Sumit Temb when asking a question you will get a much better response if you start a new thread, in the most relevant forum section. When posting your thread please include some info on what you are wanting to achieve, the more info you can give the more we can help you.