directory software

Discussion in 'Apps & Software' started by Keotray, Jan 12, 2011.

1. Keotray

Keotray
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi
    I want to upgrade my website and preferably want to use a cms or directory software without breaking the bank. Im ok with most things but worry about safety of say joomla, wordpress etc. by buying hosting and downloading software. I wonder would it be better to use a hosted cms (if I can find a good one) or wait till the funds are there to get a designer to do it. Appreciate feedback on this
    Thanks in advance

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to our Business Forum Keotray. What features do you require from your site? What type of site will it be?

If you just require a directory you should have a look at PHP Link Directory Script and Esyndicat Directory.

If you are just starting out with your own website and want to learn the basics before moving on to something more advanced you might consider starting a blog using the hosted service provided by Wordpress.com or Blogger.com.

3. Keotray

Keotray
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I would be looking at Business and Community Directory, events, news etc and giving the facility to people to add events etc themselves and allowing businesses to change info on their ad etc

I dont have the finance to get a designer but am well able to work on hosting accounts and download cms but worry about the safety of all this. Thats why I was wondering if I should use a hosted software

I have looked at Esyndicat Directory and it looks like something that would work well, there is a hosted option for this software but would that be the way to go - I dont know!

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Keotray I would suggest that the best next step for you would be to write out a list of the features you require on your site, then have a look at the various script options available and try to find the one that works best for you.

Is it possible for you to give an example of another site or sites that have features similar to what you require?

When you opt for a hosted option it is usually more expensive, but it comes with additional advantages, such as software updates are done automatically by the host and the increased security you get from a reliable host.

When you say "safety" are you referring to the security of your site, the availability of site back ups or something else?

5. Keotray

Keotray
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi
    the site would be a community town site, most towns have them, the security issue I have would be back ups etc as I would mainly be able to cope with the actual maintenance of the site but the more technical end is my worry.

Also is it always better to have your site hosted in Ireland or does it not matter once its with a reputable company

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Keotray if your site is about a town in Ireland most of your site visitors will be from Ireland and there would be two advantages to hosting it in Ireland;

1. All else being equal, the site will load faster when it is hosted in the same country as the person browsing it.
    2. Search engines will recognise that your site is hosted in Ireland and hence see it as an Irish site. This will help to improve your search engine rankings when people in Ireland search for terms related to your site.

Most reputable hosts will provide regular backups, so your site is protected should anything go wrong. When speaking to a potential host, ask them how regularly they will back up your site and how quickly they could get it up and running again, if the worst were to happen.

Have you considered partnering with a local web designer? They might be willing to provide the technical expertise in return for some ad space and publicity through the site.

7. Keotray

Keotray
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks Fergal for the advice - appreciate it and will consider it when I make the changes to the site.

8. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thank you Keotray, I look forward to seeing your site, so please keep us updated.