Directory postings

Discussion in 'Internet Marketing' started by andymc, Sep 28, 2010.

1. andymc

andymc
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Everyone,

For those SEO masters out there, Two quick questions.

Question #1: Is DMOZ dead? Do they no longer update their site submissions?

Question #2: Is it worth it to submit (pay) to Yahoo directory?
    Yes/no, and why?

Thanks for your help and comments!

-Andy

2. PaulPinnacle

PaulPinnacle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

No, it's not dead, and no, they do still update the site (very very very slowly at times).

DMOZ has always plagued by the same complaints people have had about it for years (it's far too slow at adding new listings, having a new listing added is too complicated, corrupt editors that won't add competitive sites [or only will for $XXX], etc.). The site is run by mainly a volunteer community, so it's not what many would consider to be 'efficient' and the transparency behind delays and rejections is poor (at best).

The fact of the matter is that the reason behind the vast majority of complaints (it's a hand reviewed site by volunteers with discretion over whether a site is added or not and no SLA) is a direct cause for the frustration many feel when trying to add a site. It can (and has) taken, literally, years for some sites to be added. On the flip side, some sites do get reviewed and added within a couple of weeks (but this is very rare) if they get lucky on the category they're in and the editors of that category.

Subjective. :p
    (you can see the opinions of a selection of SEO'ers via the old SEOmoz ranking factors questionnaire)

Does it carry benefits? Sure. The directory is 'reviewed', so it's not considered as a normal 'paid link'.

Does it provide a return on investment? The answer will be subjective depending on your situation.

If you're targeting specific niches that don't carry serious competition, the benefits of it are probably far less than focusing on getting far more targeted links (driving targeted traffic) with targeted anchor text (helping your SERP for the relevant terms). If you're on a tight budget, it's certainly well down the list on where the funds are best spent.

If you've already got a large SEO campaign going, targeting a wide variety of very competitive terms against other very authoritative sites, already using many of the other options available to you, as part of an overall large budget... it's far less significant of an investment and would provide better results (helping ranking across a wide range of terms) so certainly an option worth taking.

The category of the directory (if it's buried deep in the site and isn't indexed or has a huge number of links already in that category it lowers the potential), what you hope to achieve (will the [potential] benefits of a boost in SERPs provide a significant increase in revenue), etc. all need to be weighed up and then a decision specific to your site made.

3. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

How can I get my site listed on DMOZ?

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

andymc I submitted Business Advice Forum to DMOZ about a year ago and it is still not showing up there. It doesn't take long to submit your site and submission is free, so no harm in adding it.

As Paul said it really is subjective and I'd agree that if you have a limited budget you could be better spending it elsewhere. I paid for BAF to be submitted there . We actually don't get a lot of traffic from Yahoo but we rank highly in Google. I feel that being listed in Yahoo has helped our Google ranking and because of that it is worth the fee.

GekiDan you can read the DMOZ guidelines on how to submit your site here. When submitting your site take care to ensure you submit it to the most important directory category and that your title and description are accurate for your site. Once you have submitted it, there's not much you can do to speed up the approval process - just wait and hope that they add you eventually.

5. PaulPinnacle

PaulPinnacle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you're going for a DMOZ submission, as Fergal mentioned, spend a little time getting familiar with the process and with the different categories. Getting a site approved is difficult at the best of times, if you make simple mistakes in your submission it can be a total mess.

As far as I'm aware, your site isn't a commercial site GD? (I could be wrong)

In that case, you're able to make a free submission to the Yahoo! directory too. Like with DMOZ, free submissions are on no guaranteed timeframe (paid inclusion has a 7 day turnaround on approval/rejection), but since it's free it's certainly worth submitting the site and hoping for the best.

I'm surprised you actually get any referral traffic from it Fergal. I'd suggest the visits you do get are of relatively low quality (mostly competitors considering submitting to the same category seeing who they're up against). Having said that, there's are numerous other areas where it does help, so certainly one that carries benefits for BAF.

6. 50Cent

50Cent
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If it is showing web results and not directory means it is not added yet?

7. PaulPinnacle

PaulPinnacle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm not sure I fully understand the question, so if my reply doesn't make sense feel free to expand on it.

Getting indexed in Yahoo! Search and being listed in the Yahoo! directory are two very different things and independent of each other (although getting a directory listing is a way to help you get indexed, it's not 'required' and you'd normally be indexed long before the listing [even with the paid submissions]). Having a listing on the directory is just a way to get a (relatively) high quality backlink that will assist in your rankings and help gain authority for your site (e.g. even aside from any SERP benefits, which nobody other than the SE's can confirm, if you're hoping to have advertisers on your site or arrange link exchanges, having a directory listing can help give your site credibility with some).

8. rdcclu

rdcclu
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It takes forever to get a listing with DMOZ. Generally, there are several recommendations:
    1. Don't submit a brand new site. Wait until you have added a lot of content.
    2. Submit to a lot of other directories first.
    3. Make sure you put your site in the right category.

With respect to Yahoo..
    1. Yahoo is a definite must.
    2. If you are a small business, you can put up a little free account at: http://listings.local.yahoo.com/ - See Basic Listing
    3. When you look closer at how to get ranked at or near the top for a given keyword, I think you will find that the Enhanced Listing is a bargain.
    4. Yahoo is an authority site.
    5. Google goes and checks to see if your business has a Yahoo listing and that influences their placements.

In addition...
    1. Again, if you are a small business, there are 25+ other directories you can get a listing in (and you should). They are all free.

• Like Like x 1
  9. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes Paul, it's more of a news blog.
    Anyways, I'll take your suggestions and study the site more before submitting.

10. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I totally agree with rdcclu
    question 1: Dmoz not yet die but they really take long time to update. You first need to create a rich content site, then you might consider to pay some money to get a Dmoz's editor help on listing. Else, you might wait for years
    question 2: if you willing to spend some money, go ahead, it is worth especially for the business

11. PaulPinnacle

PaulPinnacle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This is something I would never consider and is the corruption which has plagued DMOZ over recent years (don't get me wrong, there are some great DMOZ editors who do a fantastic voluntary job - but the bad eggs that do operate this corrupt 'paid inclusion' have ruined the reputation of DMOZ in the eyes of many).

It's not 'help' in the vast majority of cases (I'm tempted to say all), it's plain and simple corruption and profiteering. If this were a legit process, it would be outlined directly on DMOZ. It's not, as it's a simple case of bribery for inclusion. It's something I'd personally avoid both on principal (something that each person/business can weigh up for themselves) and in terms of value for money.

Again, I'll disagree. This isn't and can't be a "Yes/No" answer. It is entirely related to the specifics of the business in question. If a business is on a very tight budget there are FAR more beneficial ways that these funds might be invested (again, it's 100% related to the business).

For some businesses (BAF as an example - I fully agree with Fergal's decision to pay for inclusion as part of his overall strategy) it's worth the cost, but that doesn't mean to say it's a "yes" regardless of the circumstances for every business.

12. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

i like your answer, you are totally an honest guy. You are the one who thinking on the long term for the quality website, this is what the wikipedia done, not those seo guy. Frankly speaking, if you are totally in the "legal zone", then you should not go for the SEO, link building can considered as "illegal" because it is not "natural" just as what you say.

FYI, eventhough you pay for the editor, your site wouldnt being listed if it is not quality site, the pay is for for him to review your website and suggest to get listed. Too bad to say everything money involved if you want "efficiency" nowadays.

Anyway, if you do get know someone who submit their site after year 2007 and get listed naturally, then update here. My friend submit his website to Dmoz for 2 years and no any news but finally his website get listed after getting some help

13. PaulPinnacle

PaulPinnacle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm sure most will agree, including those responsible for the search engine algorithms, that a certain ammount of self promotion is perfectly natural. It's not a case of "ever single backlink must be an independent vote", it's a case of the link profile being natural and not made up entirely of self promotion (or spam/manipulation/etc. etc.). This is the entire reason that link building isn't based on simple numbers or even on PR, but has grown to be a far more complicated affair.

Don't get me wrong, SE's are far from perfect and there's still far too much spam/muck turning up in SERPs. However they continually battle against it so at any moment a site engaging in those practices is in danger of falling off the map. It's a risk many take, when it hits they suffer hugely.

In any case, there's far more to SEO than just 'spammy link building'. Site crawlability, architecture, navigation, accessibility, usability, conversion optimisation, copywriting, etc. etc. are all playing a more important part of successful SEO companies each and every day. To suggest that anyone staying white hat (or 'legal') shouldn't be involved in SEO is something I will never agree with.

If it was a case of "efficiency" the 'pay for preferential review' would be a feature of the site (as it is in the Y! directory), not something carried out under the table and behind closed doors. As you say, a site still has to meet the requirements set out, so it's a case of "I'll review the site, but only for cash" which is nothing but corruption (I'm fully aware of of cases where [a minority of corrupt] editors directly contact webmasters quoting the price for inclusion - post review).

Again, there are many legit volunteer editors on the site and I'd hate to appear to be bashing their good work. They're just sadly let down by some of their peers. The directory has a huge number of categories (600,000?) and while some are very active where an editor has a specific interest, others go totally uncared for and ignored (or manipulated).

I'm aware of many. It's purely luck of the draw on the specific category and editor.

He's far from the only one that had a submission neglected/ignored nor to be able to get a listing from a questionable editor. Again, this is the entire problem with the current state of DMOZ. I'm not suggesting that your suggestion won't help in getting a listing, I just don't believe in allowing someone to hold me to ransom nor do I feel that the value obtained will always be worth the cost (in terms of time and money required).

14. BVAAlliances

BVAAlliances
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello
    Yes I will submit in yahoo directory. I will pay money. and dmoz.org is not dead is a huge directory in directory list. If we will post of them when we post to right category and when we could found to approve its.

15. andymc

andymc
    uix_expand uix_collapse

After a long Hiatus I am back! A very delayed thank you to everyone!

16. Transcribe

Transcribe
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Dmoz and Yahoo -both are effective. Dmoz takes a long to list, but very effective definitely.

17. telxcomputers

telxcomputers
    uix_expand uix_collapse

yes i saw dmoz does not approve and yahoo directory takes automatically without submission. if your site index in yahoo search engine.

18. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Are you saying that your site will automatically appear in Yahoo directory if it appears in the Yahoo search engine? It actually doesn't work like that. There are many sites indexed in Yahoo that do not appear in Yahoo directory. Yahoo directory is not automated, you need to submit your site for it to be included. The cost to submit your site to Yahoo directory is $300 per year, unless you are a charity, they will accept free submissions from charities. More here on Yahoo.

#18 Fergal, Jan 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2011