Directory Listings

Discussion in 'Internet Marketing' started by GOAT, Mar 9, 2010.

1. GOAT

GOAT
    uix_expand uix_collapse

How effictive is using free directories for seo? Are they a relevant link since they are listed (supposed to be) among similar categorized websites? It seems like a lot of work to submit to these directories because 3/4 of the time the submission is unseccessful, or the anti-spamware text test doesn't work properly. That's another question I have: On some sites I can retry and retry to enter the text on those boxes, and it says I've entered the wrong text (when I haven't). Could that be related to some kind of security software on my computer or something? Thanks!

2. John Peterr

John Peterr
    uix_expand uix_collapse

it is very helpful in gaining SERP, the anti spam text is really used to check the spamming.

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

GOAT, you might find these threads helpful;

Directory listings can help your site and the higher the quality of the directory and the better it ranks in the search engines, the more helpful it will be to your site. The most helpful directories to get listed in are DMOZ and Yahoo Directory. Other directories won't actually help your site very much, but they won't do any harm and every link adds a little to your site.

As regards the security checks, try refreshing the image or even the page and starting again, or using the access feature that some of them use to read out the text. If it doesn't work after a few tries you can assume that there is something wrong with the site and move on to the next directory.

4. youngkia1

youngkia1
    uix_expand uix_collapse

For me these are the best directories or listing so far, Kudzu, Hotfrog, Seekon, InfoUSA, Insider Pages, Yahoo! Local, Superpages and yellow pages.

5. makatiofficespace

makatiofficespace
    uix_expand uix_collapse

They provide good backlinks specially if the directory site has a PR.

6. youngkia1

youngkia1
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, I'm agree . That's is why a lot of business in the US use those site just to promote their business. And the good thing was most of them are free. It's all up to you whether you want it to upgrade or not.

7. nirav

nirav
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am not giving more effective then directory submission. Social bookmarking is better than directory submission.

8. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

nirav, can you please explain your reasoning for that? I'm not disagreeing with you but I would like to understand your basis and evidence for that statement.