Directory and social bookmarking still helpful in SEO

Discussion in 'Internet Marketing' started by joy.linford, Aug 7, 2015.

1. joy.linford

joy.linford
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello Folks,

My question is directory and social bookmarking still helpful in SEO for keyword ranking?

2. benecklary

benecklary
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Directory and social bookmarking is origin promotions of seo industry it is ever green if you need one way links directory is the best source. some directories will takes time to approve link if you have competitive product or services just goahead with paid directories then your competitors cant follow your link to post their links.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

Because of overuse by zealous marketers and webmasters who were only interested in creating links, directory submission has fallen out of favor and is no longer considered(if it ever was) a "best source" for links. Of course, you will have some directory links for local businesses, or local branches of national businesses, but it is no longer acceptable as a link building technique. Social Bookmarking can be used as long as the site being used is a respectable, well-known site, and not one of those that simply creates link "spam".
    Ask yourself, "Am I creating this directory submission just to get the link, or will my(or my client's) customers actually visit this directory to find me(or my client)? For social bookmarking, ask yourself, "Am I doing this for the link, or am I providing helpful information to those who need it?". In each case, if the answer to the first question is "Yes", don't do it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Chris_Tax

Chris_Tax
    uix_expand uix_collapse

For local business, directory listings are extremely important because Google Local SEO rewaids on ranking position

5. steveposter

steveposter
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Directory and social bookmarking submission will be depending on how quality sites will be used in this method. These tactics has been overused by other people just to manipulate the rankings. Use reputable site to benefit your website as well as the users.

6. Patson

Patson
    uix_expand uix_collapse

• Like Like x 1
  7. cwvps

cwvps
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It depends how much time do you have on your hands. These methods are not as effective as content creation and guest blogging is. Niche related forums and blogs posting real value is also important and effective. Investing time in video promotion on YouTube for example is way smarter, I think.

8. hrishivardhan

hrishivardhan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, Social bookmarking sites like Google bookmarks, StumbleUpon, reddit etc. are an ideal traffic generator for websites. That are helping owners to attract more traffic within short time, and sometimes even within hours of their page being bookmarked, depending on the interest of your business with these three things: Offer a great content on those landing pages and Work on SEO (Search Engine Optimization).

9. Maryann Farrugia

Maryann Farrugia
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It's still effective though but don't abuse it, must keep in mind a high quality directory and bookmarking.

10. Jonathan_ht

Jonathan_ht
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, Directory Submission and social Bookmarking are effective. But when you submit Directory and make social Bookmarking you must keep in mind that it should high quality and high PR site.

11. danielnash

danielnash
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, but you have to submit information of your website on different IP addresses directory site and social book marking site.

12. jmwang

jmwang
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Directory Submission and social Bookmarking are effective now,Use high PR sites are good for your website

13. richost

richost
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Directory submission and Bookmarking are the great way of promoting your website. Compare with other methods, these are very easiest method for page ranking.

14. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

All of three of the above have the right idea, but keep in mind what Maryann said - Don't abuse it! If you use directory submission an social bookmarking primarily for SEO purposes, it doesn't matter how good the quality is, you're going to get stung!

I have no idea what this means, but it sounds like he is advocating trying to trick the search engines so they supposedly cannot tell what you are doing. If that's not what he meany, it requires more of an explanation. As written, it was not worth the time it took to post it.

This is the very reason why you shouldn't use them. If they are too easy to get, you're more likely to abuse them, causing more problems instead of solving them.

15. zotowatson

zotowatson
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think Directory and Bookmarking are not as much helpful these days. Only few directory site like dmoz, viesearch, abc-directory and few more which have high page rank and domain authority are helpful. Other wise non of directory site are helpful to get ranking better or provides any benefit to your website. Same as bookmarking most of the website are submitted your bookmarks and after few days your bookmark is deleted by them,
    I personally have that experience, most of the bookmarking sites are doing the same.

There are huge number of other ways to create back links for your website. Don't focus on Directory and Bookmarking.

Hope this will hep you...

16. Master

Master
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Bookmarking is effective only when web pages, blogs, articles are to be submitted on good reputation sites. Sites which are only meant for providing backlinks are not considered as good.

So make sure that you are not in the hobby of blindly submitting on these sites. Rather then providing any benefits they would in actual harm your site reputation.

17. Garrysmith

Garrysmith
    uix_expand uix_collapse

No not really. Google still respects social bookmarking sites and directories. If they provide good quality. Google knows these sites are used to build back links in unnatural amounts that a normal site can get in a day. Not ranking them all is like throwing the baby out with the bath water. But they are not as potent as they used to be today.

18. Stevendavis

Stevendavis
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Directories like Dmoz that hand-pick which sites they want to include, and reject any that they don't think are good enough, are still valued by search engines. On the other hand, directories that accept any links that people throw at them have no quality control at all, and so all that tells the search engines is that here's a site that is trying to promote itself ... not useful at all

19. janefirst

janefirst
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Directories and book marking sites also provide good back links and submission on these sites takes too much time and hence some webmasters do not like posting on such sites, but the sites with high ranking are quite useful for ranking.

20. Richard Stevens

Richard Stevens
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I don't think social bookmarking is dead. If you're looking for success in SEO then bookmarking is most important for your website. Like all other off page method bookmarking is equally crucial.