Directories...Do they work?

Discussion in 'Internet Marketing' started by tommykai0210, Jul 11, 2018.

1. tommykai0210

tommykai0210
    uix_expand uix_collapse

After all these years of foruming and internet experience, I have concluded that they dont work. People are enthusiastic about submitting an entry into a directory, but are not very keen in searching a directory that manages a specific niche. Honestly, when I need something, I pull Google and let it do the work instead of me running through a swarm of entries!

However, I must say that they do work in cases of roleplaying sites. What are your opinions?

2. Jone Deo

Jone Deo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, They Work.

When a site has been listed in a directory, it makes it easier for the search engines to classify the site based on the key terms/phrases that have been used in the titles with which the site has been submitted. This gives your site a good chance of ranking high for searches targeting those terms. The higher your site ranks, the more visibility it gains, which consequently leads to an increase in the number of incoming visitors to your site.

3. fisicx

fisicx
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Liaison 1.0

No they don't. Google warned people using them for SEO about then years ago.

4. devninmurphy

devninmurphy
    uix_expand uix_collapse

No, sorry directories have no role to play in search results. Google has banned the directories and directories which are niche to the domain of the business only adds value.

5. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse

We seem to have taken a left turn here into territory where the OP didn't intend to go. In the original post, Tommy's point appears to be that although business owners list their business in directories, most people go to Google to find the businesses that provide what they need. Directories devoted to a specific niche are even less successful - although the businesses are there, no one searches them.
    With Jone's post, however, we have now switched to using directories to obtain links for SEO, which wasn't mentioned at all in Tommy's original post.. As others have pointed out, this is no longer an approved, effective method for obtaining links. Which leaves us with the original subject of the thread. Because few people are using them to find businesses that provide the products and services they need, are directories still effective in their original purpose - to allow people to find local providers for the products/services they need?

6. RH-Calvin

RH-Calvin
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I would say directories do not work any more as Google considers these websites as spam sites with very less content. Hence directory websites are rarely crawled and indexed by search engines.

7. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse

As I mentioned in my previous post, this was NOT apparently the original reason for the question. The question appears to be " Do directories work for their original purpose?". I respectfully request that any further replies address this subject, and please stop mentioning rankings or indexing by the search engines, or anything related to these subjects.

8. Smith-K

Smith-K
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Directory sites definitely work and are a must if you are trying to take your business local. These directory citations are a must if you want to get your business noticed locally!

9. Inva

Inva
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The role of directories has subtly shifted in the last decade. Directories are very useful for search ranking and ultimately, getting meaningful traffic. The mistake is thinking that search only means general search engines. There are other kinds of search projects, for example price aggregators. A lot of these crawl the web left and right to find websites which sell products. Being in a directory makes the process much easier and you end up being shown at a price aggregator website without actually doing anything. Granted, not all of these will be successful or will drive a lot of traffic, but even 1 visitor is a gain!

10. jeffscott

jeffscott
    uix_expand uix_collapse

There are some directories that are paid in exchange for exposing your business links and unfortunately even these few paid directory sites are not even showed in the search results when the users finding their niche.

11. sumit Chauhan

sumit Chauhan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

In these days it is quite good if you try to drive more organic traffic to your website. Most of the directory websites are spam factor for google ranking. So avoid doing directory submission.

12. Irsa Chaudary

Irsa Chaudary
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Directories do work but not as much as before but still it can help out spread your site to different search engines to rank well in google

13. NateOlsen

NateOlsen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, they work, by helping you obtain exposure and can increase your rankings in Google if done correctly. Even Moz mentions the importance of directories or Citation sources. Will they generate jobs? Not many, however, doesn't mean they don't play an important role online. Keep in mind that even though most of us use Google that Google is just a placeholder of information.

14. Aaron Harden

Aaron Harden
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Directories as a source of click throughs are useless except for business specific ones or the top half a dozen. It is important that you do not have a bunch of conflicting information on different directories however. What that does is tell Google that the data about your business is suspect and they will lower your ranking. Top Notch Windows pays attention to Yelp, Google, Bing, DexKnows and service sites like Homeadvisor, Angies List etc. Our SEO, Inside Edge of Seattle, takes care of making sure our information is current and accurate.

Aaron
    Top Notch Windows

• Like Like x 1
  15. kylojoe10

kylojoe10
    uix_expand uix_collapse

A business directory is like a website that holds all basic information which lists businesses within niche based categories. The directory can be categories by niche location, activity, or size. It helps to fetch data easily of new website and categories by there business area.

16. SEO Ninja

SEO Ninja
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Ya, its work but, you have to patience for that because they are time taken and it's rarely chance to grab instant approval directory sites.

17. andreausa

andreausa
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, it works but try to submit for a quality website which provides strong backlink.

18. Quers

Quers
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think that you need to have unique anchor texts and only after that you will have effect

19. Asfandiyar

Asfandiyar
    uix_expand uix_collapse

My opinion it works and plays a key role, just the quality of the answers is not so good. But it works, if you really need information, you need to search patiently. Google finds the most necessary, it's a computer.

20. Matt Tarrant

Matt Tarrant
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I track the source of my leads. I put a unique phone number in my Yell (that's the UK's version of YP.com) entry and got one call through it in a year. I did not renew ;)