Directories...Do they work?

Discussion in 'Internet Marketing' started by tommykai0210, Jul 11, 2018.

1. tommykai0210

tommykai0210
    uix_expand uix_collapse

After all these years of foruming and internet experience, I have concluded that they dont work. People are enthusiastic about submitting an entry into a directory, but are not very keen in searching a directory that manages a specific niche. Honestly, when I need something, I pull Google and let it do the work instead of me running through a swarm of entries!

However, I must say that they do work in cases of roleplaying sites. What are your opinions?

2. Jone Deo

Jone Deo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, They Work.

When a site has been listed in a directory, it makes it easier for the search engines to classify the site based on the key terms/phrases that have been used in the titles with which the site has been submitted. This gives your site a good chance of ranking high for searches targeting those terms. The higher your site ranks, the more visibility it gains, which consequently leads to an increase in the number of incoming visitors to your site.

3. fisicx

fisicx
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Liaison 1.0

No they don't. Google warned people using them for SEO about then years ago.

4. devninmurphy

devninmurphy
    uix_expand uix_collapse

No, sorry directories have no role to play in search results. Google has banned the directories and directories which are niche to the domain of the business only adds value.

5. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

We seem to have taken a left turn here into territory where the OP didn't intend to go. In the original post, Tommy's point appears to be that although business owners list their business in directories, most people go to Google to find the businesses that provide what they need. Directories devoted to a specific niche are even less successful - although the businesses are there, no one searches them.
    With Jone's post, however, we have now switched to using directories to obtain links for SEO, which wasn't mentioned at all in Tommy's original post.. As others have pointed out, this is no longer an approved, effective method for obtaining links. Which leaves us with the original subject of the thread. Because few people are using them to find businesses that provide the products and services they need, are directories still effective in their original purpose - to allow people to find local providers for the products/services they need?

6. RH-Calvin

RH-Calvin
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I would say directories do not work any more as Google considers these websites as spam sites with very less content. Hence directory websites are rarely crawled and indexed by search engines.

7. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

As I mentioned in my previous post, this was NOT apparently the original reason for the question. The question appears to be " Do directories work for their original purpose?". I respectfully request that any further replies address this subject, and please stop mentioning rankings or indexing by the search engines, or anything related to these subjects.