Directories...Do they work?

Discussion in 'Internet Marketing' started by LordRoco, Apr 21, 2013.

1. LordRoco

LordRoco
    uix_expand uix_collapse

After all these years of foruming and internet experience, I have concluded that they dont work. People are enthusiastic about submitting an entry into a directory, but are not very keen in searching a directory that manages a specific niche. Honestly, when I need something, I pull Google and let it do the work instead of me running through a swarm of entries!

However, I must say that they do work in cases of roleplaying sites. What are your opinions?

2. eurekapsycrille

eurekapsycrille
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Directories still work fine. But only those highly moderated and targeted. I am still using directory websites for some of my clients. But I carefully choose those highly moderated ones. It's not about ranking my client websites. It's all about relevancy and exposure.

But still, there are still junk directories out there that are mainly used by Junk SEOs in building crappy links.

3. Rocky

Rocky
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Directories in bulk would surely give no results. Some high authority directories would with good page rank would only be beneficial.

4. Interactiveonlin

Interactiveonlin
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, they work, but it is now harder to get quality links, only small amount of directories left as quality ones according to google rules

5. Beth

Beth
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Directory submission on good and quality relevant directory sites can be good and fruitful for your website other than its completely a wastage of your time and effort.

6. smartkathy

smartkathy
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Directory submission still works as before. But you should choose directory sites carefully. Relevancy does matter a lot for this. And yes PR is also an important factor for it.

7. Wayne Liew

Wayne Liew
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Guys, LordRoco is referring to the usefulness of web directories, not the effectiveness of directory submission for SEO. :p

Personally, there is no specific web directory that I visit. Those that are targeting a specific niche such as restaurants or professional services used to be useful when they started offering more than just addresses, phone numbers and website URLs (reviews, actual photos relating to the business, summary of services, etc.) to their listings.

Today, I tend to use Foursquare and Google+ Places for the discovery of new places. As for website discovery, what's a better Internet directory than Google? :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. watshelly

watshelly
    uix_expand uix_collapse

In my opinion, directory submission is useful for SEO, but the directory must be high quality and theme related to your site. But we must admit the fact that people who using directory to find something becomes less and less. Google is the most convenient way. When I want to look for something, I just hit it on search engine.

9. alex900

alex900
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Submiting to directories may increase search engines visibility of your site and so improve SEO

10. maxwebinc

maxwebinc
    uix_expand uix_collapse

To sum up all the answer, there are few that works good. Millions are junk.