Dillema!

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by LAHDI, Nov 10, 2011.

1. LAHDI

LAHDI
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi I am self employed and own my own company that provides graphic/visual art, architectural, construction management and expediting services. Recently a dear friend told me about a financial opportunity at a Real Estate Office. My friend told me they were in need of building expediting services. So I went to her office to met the owners, they liked me and told her they want me to come in two to three days a weeks. How ever they are not paying a salary. They do have client leads, some non paying. I presented them with our company
    profile, business proposal but I feel my friend (their administrative executive) never showed it to them. She did tell the owner that I could provide architectural and expediter services to their office since she could not because she was a licensed real estate sales person and it would be a conflict of interest for to assume both licenses. Two days later the owners had my friend send an email offering to order
    new business cards for me because they did not like my company business cards. I was highly insulted! I emailed her back stating to them "that new business cards were not necessary nor acceptable because I am not an employee. I advised them that I am an independent consultant that is providing a service to their office. Since this email I have not heard from them. I have not returned to their office
    because I have my own paying clients to attend to. I called my friend to find out whats going on but she has not returned my calls. I do not want to lose my friend. I really do not want to lose their business. I would like to keep the business opportunity door open but I
    can not afford to sit in their office two, three days a week either. I considered directly sending the owners another business proposal
    package extending our services and hope we can go to contract. At this point I am truly at a loss as to what to do! If any one has any
    suggestions as to how to handle this business situation I would really appreciated it!

#1 LAHDI, Nov 10, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2011
  2. Gary Barzel

Gary Barzel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I would suggest you call your friend again (if she doesn't answer leave a message) telling her you'd like to talk to her about the job, if she doesn't call you back, then don't pursue it. Try to get in contact with whoever interviewed you, ask them if you can discuss the job as there seems to be a misunderstanding. If you can't get through to them then let it slide as well. The whole company sounds a little weird to me as it is. They don't get directly in contact with you to let you know they would like to hire you, and then they go on and print out business cards without consulting you. So if this doesn't work I wouldn't worry about it too much. As for your friend I wouldn't hold it against her, she was only trying to help you, she may not have done exactly what you would have liked her to do, but she tried. Don't let this ruin your friendship.

3. LAHDI

LAHDI
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thank you

Thank you so much Gary for your input. You have clarified several issues for me. The whole situation is very awkward.
    I found out about the opportunity because she was complaining to me about referring another friend of ours to her boss,
    and then the other friend never showed up! never called! I truly do understand that my friend was looking out for me.
    How ever one I really don't know what my friend told her boss about me. Two I get the impression they are not use to
    working with independent consultants or they want the best of both worlds. Trying to get work for free. On the other hand
    my friend is also looking out for herself! She does not want to look bad in front of her boss or lose her paid position either.
    From what I do understand the boss gets 50 percent, she gets 25 percent and I would get 25 percent for doing all of the work.
    I do feel very bad that she feels betrayed, stuck in the middle. She is - in a rock in a hard place between myself and her boss.
    She has to do what her boss tells her to do. As I tried to explain to her I don't have to answer to her boss! I'm not employed by them!
    I don't know what to believe? If it was really her idea or really her bosses idea about ordering new business cards. Either way it was
    very insulting and disrespectful period. Their was a better way to handle that. If she was forced to tell me about ordering the cards?
    I feel really bad yet obligated to try and rectify this situation immediately. Otherwise the friend ship is lost as well as the potential
    business opportunity...

#3 LAHDI, Nov 11, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2011