Dilemma: to sell or not to sell

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by irmscher, Feb 15, 2013.

1. irmscher

irmscher
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hey guys and gals

I'm a programmer and web developer, I've created quite a valuable script which is actually a push button solution for a very common problem. Initially I didn't want to sell the script because but then I thought of $1,000 :) - the amount I would've paid myself is someone had offered me something like that (just imagining myself in a potential customer's shoes thus what amount I'd be willing to pay for the script)

$1000 for a piece of code sounds like a lot of money but it actually may be even worth more. And it also sounds like you can make a lot of money with the product that can be sold for one grand, but there's one important thing that keeps me back from starting selling the script.

Taking into account all the security precautions and script encoding to prevent crackers to null/crack your script there's still quite a significant chance of this to happen, and then it's a software seller's nightmare - your script is being distributed all over the web for free - months or even years of work goes down the drain.

I the pragmatist in me tells:
    just keep running the services using your script and may be it will take a bit more work and hassle but you'll earn quite good buck anyways.
    And the itch for gain in me tells: sell the script, $1000 is a lot of money and you need to sell only 1000 of them to become millionaire, on top of that there's A LOT less hassle involved in compare with providing the services, just sell and forget. Plus you can still run the service and make 2x as much as if you would've in case of not selling the script

So the bottom line is: is that risk of being cracked worth it? If the software gets cracked then it's a disaster... But running services takes quite a bit of time investment.

2. Rocky

Rocky
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Not sure what kind of software that would be but you should not risk selling it as once you may lose it if its distributed free online. That said, you think you can earn $1000 but you should try to look for buyers and see how many are actually willing to pay that amount. That would give you a good idea about the demand.

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to Business Advice Forum irmscher.

I honestly don't feel that you should let the danger of your script being stolen and given away for free on the web, stop you from selling it. This is part of the software business and it is something every software seller has to deal with. I'd be surprised if there is any paid software that cannot be found on some file sharing site for free, yet customers are still prepared to pay for the software.

For example, this site runs on vBulletin software and it is not that difficult to get a nulled copy of vBulletin for free on the web. Yet, I like lots of other vBulletin users still pay for the script, because we don't want to steal, we don't want the malware risks associated with using stolen software and we want the support that is only available to paid customers.

Does that help at all?

4. irmscher

irmscher
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks a lot for suggestions guys, very much appreciated.

5. TimeRider

TimeRider
    uix_expand uix_collapse

irmscher, I just think If you think the price is low you should increase it. I believe if you are a web developer and you are into web, you should seek ways of earning. But you should think if you sell him the code, make sure he doesn't resell it. :)

6. kenzo

kenzo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think that even if it will be cracked and available on the Internet, companies won't use it because of the copyrights. They will probably be scared of being caught on using your code illegally and paying a much bigger money. Additionally, I am sure that if your script is really so good, most of people will appreciate your work and will pay you for it :)

7. 2misi.com

2misi.com
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi, We have an article that may help you in determining the best option to sell the business.

Are You Ready to Sell Your Business?

If you've gone this far, then selling your business has aroused enough curiosity that you are taking the first step.

Question 1
    The first question almost every seller asks is: "What is my business worth?" Quite frankly, if we were selling our business that is the first thing we would want to know.

Question 2
    The second question you have to consider is: Do you really want to sell this business? If you're really serious and have a solid reason why you want to sell, it will most likely happen.
    You can increase your chances of selling if you can answer yes to the second question: Do you have reasonable expectations? The yes answer to these two questions means you are serious about selling.
    Prospective buyers eventually want to review your financial figures. Buyers want to see income and expenses. They want to know if they can make the payments on the business.