Different fonts

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by malkyb, Feb 20, 2012.

1. malkyb

malkyb
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi - I have heard of using Google Fonts, Cufon & Squirrel rather than web standard fonts like Times, Verdana etc. The idea is to make fonts look more appealing but are there down sides to using these font types?

2. Doblo7

Doblo7
    uix_expand uix_collapse

One issue could be that if people want to copy & paste your text - at least Cufon that I know of - they won't be able to. Cufon appears to be an image as you can't select & copy it but, as far as search engines go it reads as text so a great way to go.

3. ThirdSEO

ThirdSEO
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Any time you stray from using the traditional font types you risk running into problems with people viewing and/or copying and pasting the text. Using those fonts would be fine if you're using something like Google Docs where your content is hosted on a server that runs the software that everyone will be using. The only way to make sure people will be able to read the text is if you convert it to an image, but then you won't be able to copy/paste the text and search engine crawlers won't be able to read your text.

4. amac

amac
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'd agree with that. For me, I do think custom fonts has a future but there are many pitfalls, especially when most existing fonts work well enough on screen and in print.

5. cesspadilla

cesspadilla
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Positive side in using fonts like these is it's eye-catching. The negative side is it adds to the loading time of the site/blog - Although it don't really take much time.

6. mysandyda

mysandyda
    uix_expand uix_collapse

oh, the main thing wit ращтеы is not carried away with them! i dont like when fonts are too small but when there are 10 different fonts on a site...it is terrible!

7. Bournemouth

Bournemouth
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You can use Fonts from Google with Cut and Paste, I do....

8. ThirdSEO

ThirdSEO
    uix_expand uix_collapse

One of my favorite fonts ever is the font RBNo2 Light and I think it's worth it to sacrifice search engine readability and use the font inside many of my images. As long as I fill out the alt attribute for the image it justifies using a beautiful font in my opinion. I got tired of the default fonts a long time ago and really feel like custom fonts add a lot to the aesthetics of a site. Totally worth losing a little bit of user friendly-ness.

9. WarStopper

WarStopper
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I try to keep the fonts all the same because sometimes members do not like something different although using something unique will make you stand out and make the text look better. It all depends on what content the text is used on.