Difference in ranking

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by ashish.bhatnagar, Jun 25, 2011.

1. ashish.bhatnagar

ashish.bhatnagar
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Kindly tell me why there is the difference between the ranking google,yahoo and msn search engines.What we need to do to achieve the same ranking in all three search engines.

2. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

They are different because of different algorithmic. even the google itself, you are getting different ranking on different country.
    It is hard to get all listed at the same position at least you did the perfect seo

3. PaulPinnacle

PaulPinnacle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

They're different products provided by different suppliers (or at least Google and Bing [Microsoft's search offering] are different, Yahoo results are now powered by Bing), so it's only natural for the results to be different. They have very different pages in their indexes, sometimes a site will have a large number of pages indexed in Google and very few in Bing or vice versa, so the results HAVE to be different. They work off different algorithms, as sigma mentioned, so again the results will be different. If they provided the exact same results, what would be the benefit of having multiple offerings? We'd just have a single search engine operating under 3 different names.

4. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Is there even a perfect SEO?

5. lizatailor23

lizatailor23
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Re:

Content, links, etc... are probably the main reasons.

The other could be that your domain without the hyphen makes another word that isn't a keyword your targeting. It is hard to say without knowing the domain.

6. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

yes, one of the best example is wikipedia, they do have many keyword listed at the #1 of all the search engine

7. DaveCain

DaveCain
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have found just targeting Google helps with Bing and Yahoo. The algorithms are very similar but Bing/Yahoo use older techniques i.e - Meta Keywords etc. And don't forget Yahoo is powered by Bing (which was MSN).

8. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I don't think it's even called perfect. Wikipedia is a user driven website and continually updating. Another thing is, by default, most people go to wiki in searching for something they don't know.

9. PaulPinnacle

PaulPinnacle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You're 100% correct Dan.

There isn't and there can't be. SEO doesn't work in straight lines, it's a system. Search engines work on algorithms which use a combination of fixed inputs and user generated inputs. If you go too far in one area, it can/will hurt the others. Taking the wikipedia example, if they removed all links on a page to non directly relevant content (which in theory would help in their rankings), the usability of the site would suffer hugely and people wouldn't use it. The perfect example is Google. They've given multiple presentations showing what the search page would look like if it was search engine optimised to an extreme. Nobody would ever dream of using it.

There is no perfect SEO. It relies on too many human inputs (the links, citations, mentions, CTR, etc.) which occur along with the set technical algorithmic factors for the two to ever balance out perfectly.

(I won't even start on the debate that the algorithms are constantly changing... what was optimal today will have changed by tomorrow. That's a fact, not a theory. It can't be 'perfect'.)

• Like Like x 1
  10. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Do you have any pictures of this?

11. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you really mean "perfect", nothing is perfect in the world. It can always be better. Just as when we say the biggest number is infinity, but the fact is there are no such number called as infinity.

What I means perfect seo is rich quality content and tons of quality backlink. Wikipedia don't actually work out on link building but they are getting natural backlink every minutes.

12. CloptonCapital

CloptonCapital
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Bing and Yahoo are the same just on different schedule. AOL and Google are the same. If you rank well in one you should rank well in the others soon enough. From my experience G comes first then Bing catches up and Yahoo ofcourse mimicks Bing

13. PaulPinnacle

PaulPinnacle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I've seen slides showing it clearly, but the only location I know of off the top of my head is this Google SEO Report Card video from last year. (Jump to about 1 minute 20 ish)

[video=youtube;x1iuqHdNfGo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1iuqHdNfGo[/video]

• Like Like x 2
  14. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks Paul. Just saw what you meant and it's definitely crowded in that page...