difference between website and ecommerce online store

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by lola, Sep 18, 2013.

1. lola

lola
    uix_expand uix_collapse

hi,
    I'm about to start T-shirt sell business, but I don't know what would be better choice between having regular web site and ecommerce online store. I don't understand difference. My goal is to sell online. I know that creating web site cost so much money and I see that ecommerce online store as for ex. shopify charge monthly fee only which is reasonable. So what is the advantage and disadvantage.
    Thnak you

2. Jason Parms

Jason Parms
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, if you don’t want to go with your own website design then it will remain good to go within the portal which allows you to create online store at reasonable but in general if you have already experienced in this field then it is good to go with own ecommerce website.

Yes it is also true that own website design especially ecommerce store requires some more attention, manpower and well experience to handle all things such as online customer support, email conversation, dispatch of products on specified time and lots of things but it is one time investment through which you can also expand your business in all over the world.

You are at initial stage hence you should go for reputation portal which allows creating online store.

3. zeropid

zeropid
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You need CRM specialized for e-commerce online shops such as magento or oscommerce

4. TimeRider

TimeRider
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You will need e-commerce online store functionality for you to sell online. A normal website based on html or other won't have the shopping cart option and you need to code stuffs from php. There are many e-commerce online shopping scripts for things to work for you.

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

lola as you are not that familiar with selling online it might be easier for you to get started if you sold your sites on existing marketplaces such as eBay and Amazon. Once you are familiar with selling on one of those you could begin to investigate setting up your own site. How does that sound to you?

6. lola

lola
    uix_expand uix_collapse

thank you, I am thinking about one of the website shopify or big cartel. I am also curious, once I create my online store on ecommerce web site can I use the same web page on ebay and amazon

7. adsystem

adsystem
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes nice suggestion gives by you thanks for this,Nice points suggested by you about E-commerce website,Read this thread also for getting more idea or benefits of having eCommerce website.

http://www.businessadviceforum.com/showthread.php/52333-Points-to-Check-Your-Website%92s-Perfection

8. J Greig

J Greig
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

As Fergal has already suggested, if you are new to selling online, I'd strongly consider selling your T-Shirts on Amazon or eBay and see how popular they are. Once you are confident enough to have your own website, I'd then suggest using a shopping cart software to being with. This can always be changed in the future. I will list some great shopping cart software below to get you started.

AgoraCart - http://www.agoracart.com
    X-Cart - http://www.x-cart.com (I'd recommend this one)
    Zen Cart - http://www.zen-cart.com
    Cube Cart - http://www.cubecart.com

Those are just 4 I could think of that I have tried and tested. As you can see above, I would highly recommend X-Cart.

• Like Like x 1
  9. webcreations

webcreations
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Online purchasing is the technology used for the exchange of data and the puchase of product over the internet. Whereas Electronic commerce covers the range of online business activities for products and services, both business to consumer and business to business.

10. sudhakar1

sudhakar1
    uix_expand uix_collapse

E-commerce is one of the online payable process its access an webpage via purchase the product. Its fully selling process, example e-commerce webpages epay,flipkart and extra..

11. doodern

doodern
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You will require e-commerce online store purpose for you to offer on the web. An ordinary site dependent upon html or other won't have the shopping truck alternative and you have to code stuffs from php. There are numerous e-business web shopping scripts for things to work for you.

12. henna

henna
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Ecommerce application is best option for online shopping. It's cost effective comparing with website, have shopping cart, lots of security, involved with payment services like Visa, paypal, etc. And the fast functionality saves the user’s time too.

13. bmwillsmith

bmwillsmith
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Payment gateway integration is the main thing in e commerce websites that is not needed in all other normal static websites.

14. EUWindowsHost

EUWindowsHost
    uix_expand uix_collapse

A regular website does not include an online store, and is good for service-oriented businesses. The website promotes your business but is not a web store.
    Ecommerce hosting plans are priced higher than standard hosting plans, but being able to sell online can quickly offset that cost

15. scarlettjack

scarlettjack
    uix_expand uix_collapse

A website can be use for the purpose of product or service or informational

While ecommerce site is specially made for products

16. sophie123456

sophie123456
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Website Design is required to start business online. But for an eCommerce website some special features and requirements are most important. Always display your products and tell best price about them. Create a gateway option for the payment. Add 24 hour customer support and assistance to your customers. Make your website responsive for smartphones and tablets.

17. ketusoftware

ketusoftware
    uix_expand uix_collapse

website is usually small and static where as ecommerce website is dynamic web portal. For ecommerce website, you have to well optimised for the images as it maining has lot of product images, so that the page loading time is not slow.

18. alfainhost

alfainhost
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Everything is same the only difference is that ecommerce sites have shopping cart, lots of security, involved with payment services like Visa, paypal, etc.

19. Astrid2

Astrid2
    uix_expand uix_collapse

actually to the main difference between the onlien store and websites is that, whether they sell something or not. you can contact hosting provider, i will suggesting you to create an e-commerce online store. for example hostForLIFE.eu you can check there they offered e-commerce hosting starting from 3 euro per month. included the one click installer.

20. australianlogos

australianlogos
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree with scarlett