Diet Site Services

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by gabes02, Nov 4, 2008.

1. gabes02

gabes02
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Greetings - I am developing a diet website and wish to add the following free tools for visitors:

1) Recipe Search
    2) Calorie Counter
    3) Body Mass Index (BMI)

Google has two out of the three I know for sure and usually pretty webmaster friendly. But I don't know if these are available to sites for sure. Does anyone know if they are and/or any other service providers that will give code in exchange for name recognition (powered by...)?

I am also looking for a free, private-label, health newsletter (again giving credit to the publisher of course). Any input is appreciated.

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to Business Advice Forum Gabes, thanks for joining and for posting your question.

Which two did you find on Google and can you please tell us the sites where you can get them?

Have you had a look at the content on http://en.wikipedia.org ? You are free to use this content on your site, provided you give them recognition and a link back.

Do you have the skills required to integrate scripts on your site, or will you require someone else to do this for you?

3. youbetcha1018

youbetcha1018
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Welcome to the forum.:)

A diet website will be very interesting. But I have no idea which of the 2 you mentioned are available on Google.

4. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi, gabes02, welcome to BAF! :) Have you tried hotscripts?

They have at least one calorie counter script called Calorie & Nutrient Counter and another you may like, Calorie Queen.

They also have 4 different BMI scripts.

The scripts are a couple of years old now so may be outdated but you can always go to the developer's site and see if there's a more current one.

• Like Like x 1
  5. gabes02

gabes02
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks Guys! Kay - what a cool site! I discovered Google Gadgets after I posted my message. I can't post the URL, but you can find it easy enough.

What doesn't Google have? Anyway, I would rather use something that looks somewhat proprietary than Google branded stuff. It looks cheap to me.

But hotscripts looks very cool.

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

7. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

What a coincidence? I was also planning on going on a diet because I just got my medical a couple of days back and the results aren't all good. It says that my BMI is slightly over the limit - meaning, I'm overweight. Aside from that, my total number of bad cholesterol is also quite high. Upon knowing that, I'm planning on lessening my meat intake and eating veggies and fruits daily. My doctor advised chicken because it is low in cholesterol except for the chicken skin.

Please let us know of any updates on your website Gabes. Look forward to visiting it.

8. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Personally I think diets are bad for you. A more successful approach is to gradually improve lifestyle and eating habits over time. Start by eating a little healthier, eating a little less junk food and getting a bit more exercise every week.

It is very simple actually, eat less and exercise more. Simple doesn't mean easy however, and I'm not suggesting that it is easy. But it is easier if you change gradually over time, rather than trying to change overnight.

Diets slow down your metabolism, then when you go off the diet you put on even more weight. Changing gradually overtime overcomes this problem. The idea is to implement the lifestyle changes required for a healthier fitter you, rather than lose weight in a hurry and then go back to your old ways.

By the look of your avatar pic Nazreen, I wouldn't say that you need to worry too much about being overweight.

9. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That pic was taken last year before Fergal. Ever since I got married Fergal, I've gained 4kg and it's mostly on my waist and thigh areas. When I got my medical results a few weeks back, my BMI was slightly above the normal number.

I'm not really going into an extreme diet. It's the same as what you've said above. I haven't eaten fastfood for a few months now and avoiding (but not entirely) all those things the I like to eat like chocolates and ice cream. I've shifted to fruits and low-fat yogurts instead.

10. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Glad you liked it. It's a bit dated now though as I said. Thanks for the Google gadgets info! Did you catch the virtual weight loss model? That would be a nice link to pass on to people for their own sites.

http://www.google.com/ig/directory?....googlepages.com/gadget_a_v1d.xml&output=html

Thanks for saving me having to track them down Fergal. You should know I love plugins, components and gadgets. Never ever show me them because I can't resist going through pages and pages until my fingers go numb. I'm the same with templates. :D

Nazreen, I love your picture! Very nice. :) 4kg isn't much at all. I dread to think what I've put on this year, probably a few pounds more than that. I've been hunched over my keyboard far too much writing and no exercise but work is a good thing and I'm glad of it. :D

11. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have an idea for u, instead of trying free, private-label, health newsletter on the website or anywhere else, JUst contact local hospital in and around your locality or any other health official to give their tips or advice daily on your blog.
    You will also get what you want & they will also get Publicity of being expert in that particular field.
    As your website grows they will also grow since more traffic to your website will also read about them on your website which will make them famous in relatively due course of time.

12. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That's not a bad idea actually. Good thinking, scifi. :)

You could also try the article directory sites and look under the Diet category. I'd suggest you find a writer that interests you and contact them via their website or through the article site. You could see if they'd allow you to use the articles under the same arrangement the directories do for your newsletter. Usually that means just a resource box of it at the end with their website link and bio.

Also, if you decide to do it all on a WordPress blog, you can set up a subscription option where the person is emailed any new content when it's published. We use it on featureme2 and it's great. It's powered by Feedburner and as it says " no new content, no new email." The blog post comes through with all the images and URLs intact as well. Even if you publish six entries that day for example, it'll put them all in a single email.

Just an idea anyway. :)

13. gabes02

gabes02
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks Kay and Sci... those are great suggestions. Kay, I might want to discuss in more detail your ideas as I move forward.

14. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thank you kay for your advice!
    It's in fact very good advice!
    But I hardly get any time to focus in these kind of heavy indulging activities since i am doing my studies along.
    But if in future If I got chance I will definitely try it.
    If you want any sort of article related to BIOTECHNOLOGY or BIOINFORMATICS I can get it done for you since I have many friends in these fields.

15. Shawn Marsh

Shawn Marsh
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Weight Loss is something that many struggle with. Wow, i think fruits and low-fat yogurts really worked for you. You have lost 4kg. Spicing up your own program of weight loss exercises by customizing it according to your own weight loss needs is the best option to loose weight.

16. Quinten

Quinten
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Nice sharing.
    I think every fat man want to looking good diet plan, if you really want to loss your weight or doing exercise then visit this site hope you will like it.