Did I Really Hear That Correctly? The Importance of Effective Listening

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by Christi Brown, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Christi Brown

Christi Brown
    uix_expand uix_collapse

A life skill that can be challenging is the art of effective listening. Sometimes we hear what others are saying to us, but we are not actually listening to what is being said. We hear the voice, the tone, the words, but we are not actually taking in what is being said, comprehending it, and truly listening to what is being stated.

There are times when I told another person that I heard them talking, but I had no clue what they just said. I was hearing them, but not listening to what they were saying. Have you ever been in a situation like this? It is so common to do because our minds are racing at a rapid pace because we have so much going on and our thoughts have filled our minds with continuous data until we may not listen to someone when they are talking to us.

In one work related instance, our supervisor gave us specific directions on a particular task. If you were not listening closely to what was being said, the complete project would be a total disaster. Well, sure enough, one of our team members was not listening to our supervisor and ended up doing their part of the assignment completely wrong. This made our supervisor furious and he proceeded to ask our team member if they “heard him correctly.” Our team member answered and said that he heard what was said, but did not listen closely to what was actually being spoken. In the end, everything worked out because our supervisor and team member had a one on one in depth meeting where both sides listened to what was being said and got a full understanding of the task at hand. This incident then led to a special training session on effective listening skills for our entire department which was very enlightening and very helpful in both our professional and personal lives.

2. m0n2k

m0n2k
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Of course listening is important. If someone gives you careful instructions and you don't follow them, things could go wrong especially on a project. Listening skills go hand in hand with communication skills. I think him giving a course for listening was pretty strange but very pro active. I've seen things get all messed up when every one was talking but no one was listening.

3. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Many times people ignore the different between hearing and listening. Listening make a difference in both the personal and business areas of someone's life.

I remember to have heard an sales agent anecdote receiving a phone call from a disgusted client. He listened to the client patiently, and practically said no word through the full conversation. When the client finished talking, the system asked to take a short survey about customer satisfaction giving the highest rank to the agent for understanding the situation and help out.

This agent did nothing but to listen to the client, who felt satisfied for having someone on the phone who really cared to pay attention to his words.

4. kitchie

kitchie
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This is actually one of the reason why there's a gap between families, friends and colleagues, because of miscommunication.

5. Corzhens

Corzhens
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Our manager in my first job is a good listener. Whenever we would have a private meeting (this involves a few employees) he would have an ear for everyone. Even personal problems can be discussed in that meeting which he calls perk up. In the long run, I realized that his style of listening gave his employees the confidence to speak up and be at home with him. So that listening power contributed to good communications with his subordinates.

6. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That's absolutely true. This is somehow similar to the quote that I have read before by Stephen R. Covey, "“Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.” This is sometimes the cause of misunderstanding and miscommunication among people. Probably because people naturally have huge egos, and although they're wrong, they wouldn't admit it.

7. Roselli Taylor

Roselli Taylor
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Listening is important, when someone tells you an instruction about what you're doing you will need to listen to him very carefully.