Did I Really Hear That Correctly? The Importance of Effective Listening

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by Christi Brown, Aug 15, 2015.

1. Christi Brown

Christi Brown
    uix_expand uix_collapse

A life skill that can be challenging is the art of effective listening. Sometimes we hear what others are saying to us, but we are not actually listening to what is being said. We hear the voice, the tone, the words, but we are not actually taking in what is being said, comprehending it, and truly listening to what is being stated.

There are times when I told another person that I heard them talking, but I had no clue what they just said. I was hearing them, but not listening to what they were saying. Have you ever been in a situation like this? It is so common to do because our minds are racing at a rapid pace because we have so much going on and our thoughts have filled our minds with continuous data until we may not listen to someone when they are talking to us.

In one work related instance, our supervisor gave us specific directions on a particular task. If you were not listening closely to what was being said, the complete project would be a total disaster. Well, sure enough, one of our team members was not listening to our supervisor and ended up doing their part of the assignment completely wrong. This made our supervisor furious and he proceeded to ask our team member if they “heard him correctly.” Our team member answered and said that he heard what was said, but did not listen closely to what was actually being spoken. In the end, everything worked out because our supervisor and team member had a one on one in depth meeting where both sides listened to what was being said and got a full understanding of the task at hand. This incident then led to a special training session on effective listening skills for our entire department which was very enlightening and very helpful in both our professional and personal lives.

2. Corzhens

Corzhens
    uix_expand uix_collapse

When my husband worked in a Japanese software house, their boss is a Japanese who speaks little English. They have a translator so the boss can properly communicate with the employees. The first thing my husband noticed in their Japanese boss is the command - what they should do with the task or how to do the work. The usual complaint of Japanese in our country is that Filipinos do not listen to what they were saying. That's the reason why they have to teach their employees not twice or thrice but 5 times to do the work properly. Just that - not listening.

3. Nancy Olson

Nancy Olson
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Listening and then absorbing the words in your mind is an art. Those who are good listener and absorbers are the blessed ones. Specially when you are a working person you have to listen to evert single world very carefully. Miss a single world and a penalty will hit you.
    If you are not in listening + absorbing mood. Say it straight forward that we will discuss this thing latter. Take a break, refresh your mind and then listen to what your colleague, employer was saying. It will help both of you.

4. MCDA CCG

MCDA CCG
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Listening is a skill that you must train yourself in. I work with business leaders and their staff all across the United States, people have accents, different voice tones, voice levels, and passion in their speech. You must train yourself to "listen" and not just hear what they are saying. Do not be afraid to repeat something back to know that you fully understand the needs of your client or the needs of the person that is speaking to you. Stay focused, stay engaged, stay intentional.

5. rishitha

rishitha
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Listening skills should be so great and patience too...when the communication is not proper it is very diificult to communicate.

6. cwvps

cwvps
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The truth is we would do many things differently and better if we would just listen more closely. Listening is essential for communication.