Develop core values

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by djschwab, Sep 26, 2008.

1. djschwab

djschwab
    uix_expand uix_collapse

One of the first things you should do whether you are in business for yourself or work for someone else is develop a set of core values that will guide you. These just can't be a set a words that you put on paper, rather a way of life in how you conduct yourself in both your professional and personal life.

2. deepak_sharma

deepak_sharma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Can you explain more on core values. I mean you are referring one should be ethically correct, being honest etc...

3. jigyasa

jigyasa
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think by "core values", djshwab meant what is the least you are expected of when you enter the professional world. Discipline, healthy competitiveness and the likes of these. I would further add that along with these, it is really imperitive that you understand and adjust to the specific business requirements of the business you are a part of.

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Values are very important and the match between our values and our business or our values and our employer's values can have a major impact on who happy we are at work. I try to bring the values of honesty, openness, friendliness, treating others with respect and delivering quality products / services to customers to everything I do.

DJ please feel free to share some of the values that important to you, with us.

5. harmin

harmin
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Values are a mirror of our soul.Our inner personality is reflected through our values.Honesty,hard working,punctuality etc.are some core values for professional life.Respect and love for everyone is one of the most important value for personal life.Its depend upon us to balance these core values in our lives.

6. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Core values are really important and a lot of people even write down some quotes and guidelines to live by. One good example is "Keep moving forward" from the animated movie "Meet the Robinsons". Another one is "Just do it" from Nike. And one of my favorites is "The Secret is nothing. To make something special, you just have to believe it is special." from Kung Fu Panda.

Writing our favorite core values and quotes down and repeating them to ourselves can also help and motivate us during those times that we're feeling down and can even help us when we're in a fix.

7. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

"Know thyself" - exploring and writing down your core values is a very useful exercise. Living and working in a way that is true to your values will not only help you be more successful but will have a very positive impact on your happiness.

I also like "Impossible is nothing" from Adidas. Although I think perhaps these catch phrases have more to do with a way of doing and approaching things than values that govern what you actually do and how you treat others?

8. djschwab

djschwab
    uix_expand uix_collapse

My core values are honesty,genuine character, persistence, and patience. I try to conduct my buisness and personal life with these values guiding my actions

9. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I think that it is also important to maintain the same values in your business and work life as you do in your personal life. In other words don't try to live by different values when dealing with people in business than the values you live by when dealing with friends and family.

10. John Million

John Million
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Core values

The development of core values is definitely an essential component of establishing a business. It is important to foster and maintain these values throughout your professional career. Similarly, determining your company's value proposition is an equally important consideration.

11. Clint Cora

Clint Cora
    uix_expand uix_collapse

One of the tricky things here is that once you build your business based on your core values and then go international, you will find that sometimes new foreign markets have very different ways. These ways can challenge your existing core values and determine if you do business in those markets, and if so, in what ways different from your existing markets.