Default Charge the client if first diagnostic attempt didn't work?

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by kyne19, Mar 8, 2010.

1. kyne19

kyne19
    uix_expand uix_collapse

hi
    For instance, if you go to a client's home becuase they are having intermittent wireless connectivity. You attempt to do everything you know of to resolve this erratic problem. After you have done Your thing, it works. But you don't know if it is because of your fix, or, because the wireless is having a good day today.
    So you leave. First ?: Do you bill now, not knowing if You solved it?

3 days go by and the clent calls up, says it's happening again. You go over her house again and try your next manuvers (possibly putting in a new wirelss card). Second question: Do you charge her Labor again for your attempt?

What if you go back again (besides not being taken so seriously as a computer tech)? Having a real hard time figuring out how to ethically charge.

My friend reminded me I have to tell clients upfront,even if they do not ask, the rough estmated cost. I agreed fully.

2. VenalTech

VenalTech
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I wouldn't charge them for subsequent visits of the same unresolved issue. There are probably things that you didn't test/modify, that someone more experienced would have.

For example, what if it ends up being the router range and she has thick leaded walls and lots of concrete, but you never offered to increase the range with an access point?

There is an answer to the problem, and she paid you to find it.. BUT if you are charging $25 an hour when the going rate is $60 to $120 an hour, you might be able to justify additional charges, but they won't like it, it will feel like you are not fixing the problem on purpose or trying to double/triple dip.

Let me know what you decide to do, I'm curious. I usually didn't leave until I knew exactly what was wrong and what I did to fix it, so I didn't run into this problem.

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I'd take a similar view to VenalTech. I'd charge for the first visit but not for the subsequent ones. You are being paid to provide a solution to the problem and you really haven't earned your money until the problem is resolved. It's not your client's fault that you have had to make return visits.