Decision Making Tips

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by Fergal, Aug 20, 2008.

1. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

It can sometimes be difficult to make a decision when you have a number of choices. Each option will generally have its own perceived advantages and disadvantages.

I generally try to spend some time with a pen and paper and write down the advantages and disadvantages of each choice. This helps me to clarify the options before I finalise my decision. Once I have made my decision I endeavour to commit to it 100% and not to look back.

Do you have any tips or tricks to help you make important decisions?

2. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Listing the pros and cons also helps me make a decision. When listing the pros and cons, I also try to get the opinion of other people and also include these in the list. In order to do this, it's good if we are open-minded so that we can listen objectively to the advice of others. We might be against some of the advice others are giving but we shouldn't totally close off or ignore their advice.

After listing all of these, the general rule of thumb that I use is to choose the lesser evil or choose an option that offers more pros than cons. When I've made a decision, whether the results are okay or not, I won't blame others if I followed their advice because in the end, it's still me that's making the choice and not them.

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Asking the opinion of others is a very helpful part of the process, that I forgot to mention in my original post. I am often amazed at how helpful getting the opinion of others can be. Other people can sometimes identify very important points that we've missed ourselves. This can happen even when the people we ask don't have an expertise in the subject concerned.

Another benefit of asking others is that when we begin to talk about and explain the situation we can often surprise ourselves and think of things that never entered our minds as we silently mulled over it.

4. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Oh yeah, I almost forgot to mention the most important thing that I do when making difficult decisions. Aside from asking help from my loved ones, friends and acquaintances; I also ask help from God through praying.

Muslims and I do believe the Christians and Catholics too, are encouraged to ask for God's guidance in everything that we do. Just spending a few minutes in silence after praying really helps us a lot in making the right decisions.

#4 Nazreen, Aug 21, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2008
  5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Do you thank that's because God guides you, or is it that spending some quiet and relaxing time, when you are not focusing on the issue directly, allows your sub-conscious mind the peace it needs to come up with a solution?

6. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I don't really know if it's just that spending some quiet time that allows my subconcious mind to come up with a solution. What I do know is that our whole being - mind, body and soul, are all from God. So in the end, it all thanks to Him.

7. AnushaJain

AnushaJain
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I just listen to my heart before making any decision, and then never turn back whatever be the end result of it.

8. J.Rod

J.Rod
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Like you, I do write the advantages and disadvantages of the options I have but before I make up my mind, I always ask the opinion of my very close friend to see a point that I might have missed.

9. kenzo

kenzo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I really hate situations when I have to make a choice and there is no clearly better option. But i don't struggle with the choice, I just take random one :p I know it isn't the smartest move but I just do it :D

• Like Like x 1
  10. spyindiaankur

spyindiaankur
    uix_expand uix_collapse

There are many situations where you have to make a decision. So the difficulty of making a decision always depend upon the situation you are facing. In a decision making process always try to be calm no matter how intense the situation is. After that figure out the aftermath consequences that might occur. And finally always make that decision which will of benefit to most of the people.

11. mymid13

mymid13
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Just decide & GO is the main key of best Decision Maker.

12. AJKpeter

AJKpeter
    uix_expand uix_collapse

In my opinion you need to be always confident in what you are doing and that will help you for sure!

13. OBH-Peter

OBH-Peter
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Put the goal and achieve them at any cost.

14. Martin Willard

Martin Willard
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I like to ask others. I ask people that sort of have no clue about either option so I have to describe it and then they know what sounds best from a new to that sort of thing standpoint. Then I ask some people who are in the same field of me what they suggest. This really helps me.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for the suggestion, it's something that I personally need to do more of. When I do ask other people for advice and suggestions, I am often surprised about how insightful and helpful they can be, even when they don't have an expertise of the relevant area. However, for some unknown reason I still don't do it enough :)

• Like Like x 1
  16. Martin Willard

Martin Willard
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think sometimes it is just because it takes a while to do and therefore the use of it is overlooked. Also sometimes if it is something you want to do you will sometimes not want to hear anything against what you want to do because you think it will work (I am really bad for this).

• Like Like x 1