Decision making - Please help me.

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by eurekapsycrille, Mar 21, 2013.

1. eurekapsycrille

eurekapsycrille
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Okay, this is my story:

I am currently working in an SEO company here in the Philippines. Actually, I've been working in this new company for 6 months now. I have friends that are involved in web development and online marketing that built their own company/business.

They are offering me a position that I could say I won't be getting here in my current employer - to become a shareholder. The thing that makes me think about it is that they don't require me to spend money because they've already found an investor to run the company. They just want me to contribute my skills. (if you are wondering why they did that is because they are my long-time friends)

They are just waiting for the papers that will give a signal to the company to operate (legal papers). I could say that 90% of the company is ready.

Now, I am having a hard time to decide whether I will stay here or take the risk and join with them. Here are the scenarios that I am seeing:

Advantage of joining them:

- If I decide to join them, I will earn thrice as much as I earn as an employee (because I will be the boss).
    - I have the opportunity to open up my new business.
    - I will become rich

Risk/disadvantages:

- If the company did not sustain, I will lose a job.
    - I will go back to zero and find another job.
    - The investor will go after us to give back his investments.

I know I will be the one to decide at the end of the game. But I really need your help guys. Please tell me what are your thoughts about it.

Thanks

2. Rocky

Rocky
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The answer for these kind of situations in any business venture is the Risk vs Reward.
    Every entrepreneur had to take that risk in order to be successful.

You need to think about your future. Do you want to be an employee all your life or you want to grow. Since you want your own business you would need to take risk then as well.

Unless you take that chance you would never find success.

• Like Like x 2
  3. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hope for the best and prepare for the worst...

This is something worth risk taking opportunity comes in lifetime.....just focus on work not on negative aspects....go for ride....

4. Quacker Jack

Quacker Jack
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You need to determine what you want, and the opportunity costs versus risks of the venture. Additionally, you need to take in several other factors, such as the ease of getting a new job in case your fails, your family situation, and your current utility from your job. This is a decision that needs a lot of thought from your part (as I am sure you are putting in). Weigh out more Pro's and Con's. Such as where does your current job lead, etc.

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Eureka, do you know how easy it would be for you to get another job, similar to the one you have, in the event that the new company doesn't work out? If it would not be difficult then you probably wouldn't be risking very much by taking up this new opportunity.

Once you get some written details of your contract with the new company, you should seek some legal advice on those documents. See if there is a way you can minimise any risk of the investor coming after you for the funds invested in the new business.

• Like Like x 1
  6. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If its worth taking the risk, go for it. Job will always be there anyway, there are tons of SEO companies here in the Philippines and as long as you have the experience you'll always have a spot..

Investors will take back their investments? is this in the contract?

• Like Like x 1
  7. eurekapsycrille

eurekapsycrille
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes. We had a deal about it. After two years, we have the complete rights to decide if we want them to stay with us or not provided that we have paid back what they invested. Of course it will be a case to case basis.

8. TimeRider

TimeRider
    uix_expand uix_collapse

eurekapsycrille: If I was in your in your sit, I would have taken the risk because without taking risk I think we can't achieve anything. I would be prepared for the risk. But even If I failed, I would start from the scratch.

But It depends upon you that you choose the normal job or be the boss. It's what you would like to do. It depends If you are satisfied with what you have or you want to take a step ahead.

9. Leejeong

Leejeong
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I see they have that trust and expectations on you. It's now on you to handle pressures and meet commitments. Like they all said, "Grab that risks". Anyway, if you believe that you have the profitable skills, why not go and join with them? SEO will be always out there and SEO companies are willing to hire SEOs with experience. In my point of view, you don't have any risks, just full of advantages. You considered losing your job as a risks? (really) where you can easily find new one with your seo skills.

The only risk that I'm seeing now is when you're too late to grab that offer. Sounds Awesome. You're lucky!

• Like Like x 1
  10. spyindiaa

spyindiaa
    uix_expand uix_collapse

i think in competitive life if don't take the risk ur not able to achieve what ever u want to do in ur life.... the type of opportunity now u have now may be it is not , at that time after 2 year u have more money in ur jobs u spend more time in that and and a lot of sacrifices for job ,,, its become more difficult to leave ur job at that time ,,, so i think u have to take risk , because a person dosent become rich by his job ,,
    only short cut to be rich to have a business of ur own........

11. wlsssss

wlsssss
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It also depend on the confidence of improving their business you feel.
    You need to know how much they can be good at managing their business as well as providing how much good service in the industry and how much needs they will have for that service...

12. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

What did you decide to do eurekapsycrille?

13. LordRoco

LordRoco
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think that more than anything, you must stick on to the job that you feel comfortable with, mostly the second one. Earning thrice as this is a good option as life is getting busiers and that you need to save up something. When you get the opportunities, seize them and dont look back. At the end of the day, your future is more important, not your company's (talking selfishly, ofcourse, but that is how the world works these days)

14. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

that's the basic decision for everyone when they choose between work for other and run own business.
    Of course that's always higher risk to run the own business / become a boss, that's why boss earn better generally
    that's a good chance for you to change because you dont need to fund to run the business but that's another thing to be considered is your current situation, if you are single and no much commitment, then go ahead. Although you fail after two years, you can still start again. However, if you have family and big commitment, then you shall really think twice, to ensure that you are able to bare it if the new company is not earning good money

15. Forrester080

Forrester080
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Most newly founded companies are trying to save on spending money paying the employees by offering them the "position" of shareholder. You will have to spend nothing but your skills. The point is it shows that the company is not financially strong enough to cover your salary, if they cannot do this right, fair and square then there's nothing to expect from such companies/offers. The second thing is you are a shareholder without spending any money means you are the smallest member of the board of directors, you cannot influence the process if something bad or negative going on that slows the operation, sales, etc.

My advice is giving up that mingy offer and find a better job elsewhere.

16. AnushaJain

AnushaJain
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Friend,remain in your job ryt now and find the scope of that industry in the market.
    Dnt believe on nyone blindfoldedly.
    Think peacefully and make your mind stable.
    Dnt panic my friend,changes are constant in life:)resistance is must:)believe in yourself what your heart says do that:)
    never regret what will be the end:)think positive,get positive:)live with smile on your face,aal the problems will vanish:)stay connected if needed any support from friend:)

17. jeff123

jeff123
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree with AnushaJain..

You should continue with your current job and also find some time to work with your friends... Once you are confident that this new company is doing well, you can make your decision...

Right now, don't leave your job...

18. TimB

TimB
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Dear keep in mind one thing ever. "High Risk, High Profit. Low Risk, Low Profit ". You can know better that where that company stands. If the statistics of the company are giving green signals or say there are 60% chances of it to grow then you should join them. If not then wait and watch. Even if you go to zero and will have to find new job, you will have skills with you to find new one. So go ahead business is always better than job. get write one quote in your office or room "You can Rock every climax, just your passion should be True". Good luck.

19. marcus47

marcus47
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi every one,
    I don’t understand about the situation but one question is in my mind. These types of situation is very sensitive so why you disclose it. You have done a big mistake. You post a thread for making decision.