Deciding on a name.

Discussion in 'Starting a Business' started by Jerlene, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Jerlene

Jerlene
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I was just wondering about the importance of a business' name. If you have a business, how did you come up with the name? Is it something personal(like someone's name) or is it something that describes what you do? How high up on the priority list was naming your business? Did you pick a name first then take care of everything else, or did you come up with your business then name it when it was ready to launch?

2. Curtis Is GOD

Curtis Is GOD
    uix_expand uix_collapse

My business name was actually the very first thing I came up with. Considering I get called 'South' off everyone and I live in South London (Croydon) I decided to the name the up-coming business 'South Productions' its simple, sleak and easy to remember. A business name can be the simplest thing ever but it doesn't have to be flashy because any business can succeed if you have the right mind set and the endurance/potential to make it without giving up.

• Like Like x 1
  3. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It took me sleepless nights in thinking for a good name of my blog. I basically think about a name that could best describe my blog and it should be related to the the main niche of the blog.

4. Sahil

Sahil
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Choosing a right name for my business it really a hard thing for me. And I often find it the hardest thing in starting up a new venture. So, the most common thing I do is take the help of my friends and colleagues and get some good ideas from them to choose up a good name it always works for me.

5. ThirdSEO

ThirdSEO
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You should probably have a good idea of what you want your business name to be before you
    start. You're going to need to have your business name ready when you file the legal
    documents for your business. If you plan on building a brand around your business you should
    pick something short and original, think "Google" and "Zappos." Try and keep your business
    name easy to remember and make sure it accurately describes what you do if you're not
    planning on building a brand or nationwide company.

6. MFeynmann

MFeynmann
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yeah, originality is important but it's very important to have a name that will be very memorable and also related to your business.
    E.g the name of this forum is very bad (sorry :D) but it's hard to memorize and i just put him in my mozila bookmarks.

7. Mark T

Mark T
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Most of the business names has their own meaning and relation to what they offer. They even create a catchy and easy-to-remember names so that people could remember them easily when they wanted to.
    Deciding on a business name is quite a tough part. When you name a business, it will be its name permanently so picking the right business name is really a tough part.

Also, your business name will be your overall identity, whether online or the traditional business marketing. And since we already ask and talked about business names in this forum, probably I can share some tips and thoughts that I had read somewhere else in the Internet which could help everyone (probably) in choosing and deciding the right name for their business.

Here: http://womeninbusiness.about.com/od/businessnames/a/8nametips.htm

Regards,
    Alex

8. Oquotes

Oquotes
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Make it catchy, but not hard to pronounce or spell. Make sure its brandable and not taken by someone else!

9. amac

amac
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I prefer either naming the business after your family name or abstract. I don't like descriptive names though some work very well in particular industries. With naming, at the end of the day, you need to consider that whatever name you choose will apply to what you hope will become your life's work. This is important.

10. Shahrier

Shahrier
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I don't own a business but the past 2 websites that I owned were both different. The first one was named as something unique; a company like name. My second and current website I chose the name because it is keyword rich.

For a business, I would suggest something that is not keyword rich. Those kind of names can only work for some types of companies. I would suggest a unique name, although you could possibly put you initials or your name.

11. Chrisanova

Chrisanova
    uix_expand uix_collapse

#1 - Keep it SHORT.

For a traditional brick-and-mortar store back in the 1950's, this wouldn't matter = "Dan Dandy's Delicious 24-Hour Deli".
    Actually, it was part of the charm.
    But in the age of the internet, that wont pan.
    1 word, 3 max. Above that, and it needs to be very clever, or repetitive consonants (like D above)

#2 - RELEVANCE

Self-Explanatory.

#3 - EASE of SPELLING

As much as we like to think America is smart, most of this country has spelling issues.
    Search engines pick up simple mistakes a lot of the time, but not always.

#4 - SNAPPY

I'm a fan of Shark Tank.
    Have no pets, but "CitiKitty" absolutely sticks in my head.
    Though, that may also be because O'Leary threatened to take out a contract on her cat.

#5 - ATMOSPHERIC

Something that appeals to a person's senses.

12. DeniseTaylor

DeniseTaylor
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you are looking for a name for an offline business, I have found a very successful technique to be creating a name that describes what you do. Example:

Accurate Typing Service
    Squeaky Cleaners
    Sparkling Window Washers

This plants the seed of quality (etc) into your prospects minds and makes your business memorable.

If you are looking for the name of an only business, I would base it on your site concept's keyword. That way you get the extra search engine boost for it.

13. firstchoicecar

firstchoicecar
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This is very important part of the business, This is a name where you can identify your customers, You must think more on a simple name and yet very professional.