De-cluttering & Tidiness Help

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by Fergal, Jul 31, 2008.

1. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Unfortunately I'm a bit of a hoarder and I'm not the tidiest or most organised person in the world.

I've been improving recently, by concentrating on one small area of the house or office at a time. I tidy and de-clutter that area and then make a big effort to ensure that it stays tidy.

Do you have any tips for keeping your work space and indeed your living space clean, tidy and organised?

2. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

In order to reduce clutter and keep your workspace and living space clean, the most important thing to do is to do it regularly and to do it immediately. If you only do it once a week then a considerable amount of clutter would have accumulated already. Also, you must allocate a specific space for each of your stuff.

Let's say you've just finished playing a game of badminton or shoot some hoops. When you arrive home, don't just leave your racket or your basketball in the sofa but store them in their allocated space. When you also have some mails, open them immediately and throw away the unnecessary ones. Put the bills in a rack or on your fridge so you'll remember to pay them. All the other mails can be stored in a shoe box or in a drawer.

When you've just come back from work, throw your dirty clothes in the laundry basket and put all your wallet, belt, coins and keys in their allocated spaces. Don't throw them in the floor or in the sofa.

If you clean-up immediately after yourself and all your stuff have their own allocated space, then you'll be tidy and organized in no time.

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

You make a great point there Nazreen and I'm working towards being able to do that.

When you let an area become untidy things have a tendency to snowball. If your house is untidy and the place where you should put your badminton racket is cluttered with other stuff, you end up putting it somewhere else. So the problem accumulates.

I'm working hard on getting everywhere tidy and de-cluttered. Once I have a particular room, or even a small area within a room sorted I don't let it get untidy again.

4. prettysue

prettysue
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I want to share this Japanese practice of cleaning up our work place and homes.

5S

Sorting
    Keep the necessary in work area, dispose or keep in a distant storage area less frequently used items, unneeded items are discarded.

Straigthen
    Proper arrangement for the most efficient and effective retrieval.

Shine
    After the first thorough cleaning when implementing 5S, daily follow-up cleaning is necessary in order to sustain this improvement. Cleanliness is also helpful to notice damages on equipment such as leaks, breakage and misalignment. These minor damages, if left unattended, could lead to equipment failure and loss of production. Regular cleaning is a type of inspection.

Standardize
    Once the first three S have been implemented, it should be set as a standard so to keep these good practice work area. Without it, the situation will deteriorate right back to old habits. Have an easy-to-follow standards and develop a structure to support it.

Sustain
    Discipline or commitment to do the 4S above always. Make it a way of life.

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for that Sue, some useful hints and tips there.

I'm somewhere between Sorting and Straighten at the minute, still have a bit to go.

6. InspiredWriting

InspiredWriting
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Timely advice for me, I need to follow it up with my digital files as well.

My desktop generally gets very cluttered before I decide to file everything into the correct folders and bookmarks.

It can be hard to break old habits.