DBA for my Company?

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by JaredDetroit, Jul 5, 2010.

1. JaredDetroit

JaredDetroit
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have a relevant business that I've created for my company, Detroit Web Hosting, that I want to brand differently from my main company. I would also like people to be able to write checks out to "Detroit Web hosting".

Can I get a DBA for my company (LLC) and operate under both names? Also, would I need to have two separate bank accounts or would I be able to operate from the same bank account?

Obviously it depends on the bank but I would like some general advice.

2. businessamateur

businessamateur
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello JaredDetroit,

Although I have some knowledge of the subject about writing checks while "doing business as" under another name, it is probably a best idea that you consult with your local expert regarding this issue.

You can also refer to the business.gov website that can provide you with further knowledge of this subject.

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

JaredDetroit you could also try contacting the IRS. If you give them your details they should be able to give you a specific answer.

My experience with Irish banks is that some of them will allow a single bank account for two different business names, but others won't. Probably best to ask your own bank if they will facilitate that.

By the way, your Detroit Web Hosting site looks great and you would be welcome to advertise your hosting services in our Member Ads & Marketplace section.

4. arlener

arlener
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Here's how to name your businesses.

Here's the right way to name your business, if you incorporate:
    MyCompany, Inc. (or LLC or Co.)

MyBusiness, a Division of MyCompany, Inc.

Check it out to see if I'm right because I'm not an expert. That's what I was advised.

Then you can get 2 DBA's

Ask your own bank to be sure, but my bank makes me open a new account for each DBA name I have. All are free, though, so it's just a bit more paperwork.

5. BizDoc

BizDoc
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Irs

And be careful: the IRS takes no responsibility for errors. So if they give you incorrect advice and you do the wrong thing, you're still stuck. An independent audit revealed that sixty percent of phone call answers are flawed :(

Regards,

Chris

#5 BizDoc, Jul 25, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2010
  6. myusacorporation

myusacorporation
    uix_expand uix_collapse

JaredDetroit,

Let me just answer your question. Yes, you can get a DBA for your existing LLC, in fact you can get as many DBAs as you want. To register a DBA in Michigan you need to go to your County Clerk and fill out an application –*as far as I know they do not allow mail in DBA applications.

There is no need to notify the IRS, at least not when you register this DBA with the county. IRS only care about your LLC, and since this DBA belongs to your LLC thats enough.

When you get a DBA you should go to your bank and have them add your DBA to the existing business account of your LLC, this way you will be able to deposit checks written to your DBA name.

I hope that info is still helpful.