Databases & Contacts

Discussion in 'Apps & Software' started by sputnik77, May 2, 2015.

1. sputnik77

sputnik77
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Can anyone suggest a free service I can use to store all my business contacts? Am currently using Excel spreadsheets but would like to start using a proper database system - something that is free for under 1000 or 2000 contacts.

I am soon to launch a smartphone app for tech startups and have been collecting expressions of interest and email addresses via several forms. All this contact information has been directed and stored in Excel spreadsheets. I now have up to 1000 user contact profiles, spread over several different user and customer groups and would like to put these into a database.

Quite soon I plan to use MailChimp to broadcast when the service/app goes live and would like to send out a slightly different message to each group of users or customers. From my research I can't work out if I need a CRM system, or a Contacts database. I have looked at: ZohoCRM, Zoho Contacts, Odoo and can't decide what I need. Here are my requirements as I see them ...

• Ability to assign a contact or user to a group (or sub-group) name of my choosing, like this ...

1 Founder / Start-up:

2 Promotion Targets:
    - Tech Blogs
    - VC Blogs
    - Business News Sites (Top Tier)
    - Business News Sites (Low Tier)
    - Business Networks
    - App Reviews & Directories

3 B2B Targets:
    - Accelerators
    - Incubators & Biz Education
    - Deal Matching & Brokers
    - Crowdfunders
    - VC Firms
    - Angel Investors

4 Suppliers:
    - PR, Press & Journalists
    - Sponsors

5 - Other:

• The service must be free at least to 1000 contacts

• Helpful if it integrates with MailChimp

All suggestions would be gratefully received.

2. Kevin Peter

Kevin Peter
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Banned

A CRM in sync with an marketing automation tool will help you keep these contacts on the roll and will do your work. How did you capture these contacts? Is your databse opt-in?
    If you are looking out for contacts database, then there are companies who acan build in the opt-in contacts for your niche target audience at price per contact.

3. manishsqrt

manishsqrt
    uix_expand uix_collapse

if you are looking for cloud based storage then you can use google drive, for your own system excel sheets are the best, though if you want to automate the insertion and updates then you may download wamp server on your pc, its also free

4. sputnik77

sputnik77
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Kevin

I am building up a list of users who have reached a landing page and who fill out a Google form, with the results being saved to a Google spreadsheet. Last week, I transferred some of them into MailChimp to see how it worked. Although I got to grips with it ok and it does allow me to categorise or label my users, I can now see that I do after all need to concentrate on finding a good CRM, of which I have only two main requirements:

• Needs to be free for up to at least 1000 users entries (although 2000 would be better)

• Need the ability to label contacts really well (as in my list)

I'm not looking for (or able to afford) anything being built, as I know there are many systems out there. Just looking for any guidance from anyone with a good knowledge of all the free products.

Thanks
    aristos

5. sputnik77

sputnik77
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi and thanks for the message.

Storage nor automation is not really a concern at the moment. I have to date been using spreadsheets already but now want to transfer to a CRM package. Might you suggest one handling 1000 + contacts for free with really good labelling ability. MailChimp has really good labelling but it is not a good place to store more fuller contact details.

Do feel free to suggest a CRM if you think you might be able to help.
    Thanks
    aristos