Cyber Monday

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by Kay, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This coming Monday (Dec 1) is Cyber Monday which is a relatively new thing in the States (introduced in 2005) where online retailers give lots of great deals and discounts or perks like free shipping on orders placed the first Monday after Thanksgiving. The Friday after Thanksgiving, which is always a Thursday is usually when the high street retailers traditionally start their biggest holiday sales.

Anyone thinking of buying online something from the States, Monday's a great day to do it.

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Kay your post is the first time I hear anything about Cyber Monday. Is Cyber Monday a popular event, is it well publicised?

3. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It's getting to be here definitely, yes. It's only been around three years and is the online retailer's way of getting a slice of the Sale pie. Over here the day after Thanksgiving is when Christmas shopping starts in earnest and it's insane, like Christmas Eve in the UK only worse. I kid you not. I wouldn't venture out to the malls that Friday if you paid me.

PC World reported in the article that
    That's a fair chunk of change, especially when you consider how short a time since its inception. Apparently the reason they chose that day is that it's the first day people are back at work after the long Thanksgiving weekend and they start Christmas shopping online from their office desk. (Must resist saying cyberloafing...:D )

There's an entire website devoted to it: http://www.cybermonday.com/. Many of the companies run the offers longer than the day itself. It does get a lot of press coverage, more this year than I've seen before and not just in the odd gadget mag either.

CNN already had a story. Marketwatch reported on an internet company that saw a 30% spike in business internet traffic usage on Monday compared to the two Mondays prior to it, which they attributed to it being Cyber Monday.

So yes, it does get quite a bit of publicity when you look at how many news items make mention of it. I think Cyber Monday will be one of those things that in a few years, people will forget they'd never heard of it and it'll be a common phrase. ( Like " I'll Google it" ...whatever did we say before they emerged. :) )

• Like Like x 1
  4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Kay, thanks for the detailed explanation and the helpful links!

That is a truly large percentage. Sounds like Cyber Monday is growing in popularity and importance.

I've created a new thread for this Cyber Monday topic, apologies for taking the recession thread off topic. :(

5. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Was probably my fault anyway we went offtopic, Fergal, sorry. :) And you're welcome. :)

Yep, I think it's going to just keep on growing, even if only because the number of people getting online each year keeps swelling the internet user base in general. Probably an area it would be worth trying to find some kind of door into, but what I don't know.

6. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I've just visited Cybermonday.com website and I do think that Cybermonday is a great way to find bargains during the Christmas holidays. I would have thought that the special promotions and offers would have ended by now but they haven't. I think that this would continue until the end of the year or probably until first week of January.

Wouldn't it be better if they invented and used the term "CyberChristmas", instead? :)

7. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Doesn't quite have the same ring to it though Nazreen. ;) In fairness I believe in previous years the longest the deals have lasted is from the Monday to the following Sunday. I guess all the retailers there will be doing what the bricks and mortar ones are this year even more than usual - trying to capitalize on each and every visitor they get for as long a period as they can. Good luck to them and I'm glad to see it extended since I completely forgot about it until Tuesday morning! :)

However they do it, they're doing something right. Sales numbers are coming out now and reports say "Internet retail spending on the day dubbed Cyber Monday rose 15% to $846 million" despite the fact that "e-commerce spending for the holiday season to date was down 2%." That just tells me that more and more are seeking the bargains and paying attention to what's going on in the economy. I'd bet my bottom dollar that by this time next year, we'll see it spring up in other parts of the world.

#7 Kay, Dec 5, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2008
  8. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

15% is a very big increase. It was certainly worth while taking part for the participating companies.

9. Webestrian

Webestrian
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Cyber Monday.Heard this term for the first time.