Customer Reviews on Company Listings

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by GSTAR, Nov 25, 2012.

1. GSTAR

GSTAR
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm not sure if this is the right place but I am after some general advice on a feature I am looking to implement on my website.

The website I have is a Wedding Directory. Here, companies can advertise in the form of a directory listing. This listing contains the company details - such as what they do and how you can contact them. There are three packages available - Basic package is free and Silver and Gold packages are charged for.

Now in order to further enhance the directory, I want to enable customer reviews for each listing. This is basically whereby customers who have used a particular company's service can write a review (and rate out of 5) of their experience.

The dilemma I face is that if customers are to be paying for their listings then surely they will expect to not have content on their listing that would tarnish their reputation (i.e. negative reviews). But at the same time I want to be impartial and help my site visitors to make informed choices on which companies to book when arranging their weddings.

Of course I will exercise my ability to remove offensive or fake reviews but I do not want to be removing reviews just to satisfy my clients.

Suppose a client pays me a premium fee to have their listing on my front page and at the top of the listings. Now suppose that client gets lost of negative reviews - the fact that they have increased visibility means that they will also get increased bad publicity. This in turn means they won't renew their package and will most likely request the listing to be taken down.

So, how can I get the right balance here and keep everyone happy?

2. Rocky

Rocky
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You can make use of closed ended questions which would allow users to only rate a service, say on a scale of 1-5 but do not allow them to comment if you are concerned about bad reviews.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I like Rocky's idea, if you only allow positive reviews, the the cream will still rise to the top review wise and you won't have the issue of paying clients having problems with negative reviews.

Another option might be to allow your paying clients to delete reviews they don't like, that way only the reviews they think are helpful will be shown to your site visitors.

It might be an idea to look at other rating sites in other industries, e.g. tripadvisor.com, to get some ideas as to how they handle negative reviews concerning their paying clients.

4. GSTAR

GSTAR
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi guys, thanks for the feedback.

My aim isn't to disallow negative reviews - I actually want people to be honest so that it helps other people who visit the site. After all, it won't be much help if every company listed had good reviews.

I think my only option is to warn paying clients in advance that they will get a mixture of good and bad reviews and that it's out of my control :)

• Like Like x 1