Custom software development

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by Edwin M. Lewis, Mar 25, 2015.

1. Edwin M. Lewis

Edwin M. Lewis
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Guys, need your advice on the following matter:

I need some customized software to be built for my business. I've googled the companies which offer such services and now I have a dilemma. Should I outsource the job to guys somewhere in Europe (I don't consider hiring Indian companies, no offence) or use some local contractor? I've come across a calculator on one of the sites: http://staffyourteam.com/#savings-calculator, and according to it I can save a considerable sum of money if I work with them. I incline to use these guys with calculator (or at least to get a quote from them to check if they can really cut down my costs) and then compare their quote with one from our local guys. But I'm on a pretty tight budget so every dollar counts. So what's your opinion on the matter?

2. atlantisrocks

atlantisrocks
    uix_expand uix_collapse

A tight budget is a danger signal.

You must have a unique business that requires customized software. Are you sure you can't "live" with existing software, or pay to have it modified for your purposes? Developing new, customized software is a big risk factor.

I don't remember ever being on a project that was fully specified by a client at the beginning. There has always been scope creep as the customer thought of additional features that were "absolutely" needed. Of course, the later in the project that the new features were defined, the more it cost to implement them.

Even on projects that were well specified, the "quotes" we provided were only estimates with actual costs frequently higher.

I you move forward with this, I would make sure your contract is a fixed price contract with payment completion after thorough testing and verification by yourself or independent testers.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Edwin M. Lewis

Edwin M. Lewis
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for you opinion, Bob
    The idea of modifying some existing software sounds really appealing to me right now (as I haven't considered it) so need to do some more research looking for similar software.
    Maybe anyone has had experience with outsourcing their development needs overseas? Woulf love to hear the opinion on this matter as well.

#3 Edwin M. Lewis, Mar 26, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
  4. sapett

sapett
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Modifying existing software would be a good idea. I'm glad to read you plan to do some more research. That is key to making smart, informed decisions. You don't want to pay for something on a tight budget that you don't need right away.

• Like Like x 1
  5. JOSourcing

JOSourcing
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Edwin,

Because you've got copyright laws, distribution laws, and in some cases, political laws to contend with, I always recommend to hire "your own." The advantage is contract enforcement. It's much easier to enforce an outsourcing contract in your own country than it is in countries whose laws may contradict with your own.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Edwin M. Lewis

Edwin M. Lewis
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yep, thanks for your opinion