Custom designs?

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by Matt, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Matt

Matt
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Do you buy custom design, make your own, or use a free template for your business or site? I have always made my own :)

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I'm not a designer, so I usually have someone else create a design for me, or alternatively use a theme and have it customised for my specific requirements.

3. CloptonCapital

CloptonCapital
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I can do coding but it's so cheap to just pay for a good template. To have someone make you a custom template can be accomplished for under $200 easily.

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Where do you find someone to do that CloptonCapital, do you use forums, freelance sites or other methods?

5. CloptonCapital

CloptonCapital
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I belong to an internet marketing forum. I then post a website and say what I want done to it. I'm not a design guy so it usually boils down to, "make it look better". Since the cost of acquiring business is so low on an internet forum I can usually get a style sheet changed significantly and have it integrated for about $100-$150. Digitalpoint of Warriorforum might be a decent place to look.

6. Matt

Matt
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You can get good templates for under $100. I haven't seen any that are that expensive

7. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for the reply CloptonCapital, that is good value as it saves you a lot of time and allows you to focus on your core business.

I've seen templates sell for under $10. However, if you want something that is unique and of good quality you will have to pay more.

8. foody

foody
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Another option that I have seen if you would like it to be exactly the way that you want. There are one or two visual theme editors out there. You can customize it to exactly the way that you want it. This gives gives you another do-it-yourself option. There are always a lot of ready made themes on the market if you want it to be even easier.

9. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

foody is there any one of those visual theme editors that you would particularly recommend?

10. CloptonCapital

CloptonCapital
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I can get decent templates for free, I'm talking about custom made and integrated. If its marginally better in the long run its worth the extra dollars

11. foody

foody
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I cannot personally recommend any program specifically because I have not had a change to really test them out. However the one that seems the most promising is Elastic. It is a plugin that can be installed and accessed directly in Wordpress. It is even released under the General Public License (GPL) which makes it a completely free solution. I have not had actually test out this one. This is purely speculation from what I have researched.

If you would like to check it out, their site is http://elastictheme.org/.

12. Matt

Matt
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, $10 templates aren't that good but I have seen some pretty good templates for around $90.

13. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for that foody, judging by the video on the site that elastic theme does look very powerful.

14. dripworld

dripworld
    uix_expand uix_collapse

custom themes are costly depending on the requirement and script.In my view it will cost more than $250 above.I have seen psd to css or xhtml conversion is $100 or might be less.
    I use only free template and then customize for the requirement.I tried long back to make a wordpress theme but at that time i have some reasons to leave it.