crowdsourcing

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by michaelbriskin, Nov 20, 2012.

1. michaelbriskin

michaelbriskin
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I figure there should be a such thing as reward-based cumulative crowdsourcing, or examples of it. At the outset, a certain amount of money would be pledged as a reward for solving a problem and would be distributed to every participant who effectively contributed to the finished solution. Distribution would be at the discretion of the issuer of the reward as to how much each contributor receives, but the total amount would have to add up to the amount pledged. This would be a far cry from any “winner take all” system in place. (Where, if at all, has this been done? Maybe even here?)

2. pete.mcal

pete.mcal
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This is quite an interesting twist on the crowdsourcing model. It kind of reminds me of justanswer.com where "experts" are paid to solve people's specific problems. However your proposal would be on cumulative contributions rather than one person solving the problem.

The issue I see is who decides which individuals have added the most value (and therefore get the highest share)? If it is a communal voting system then it's open to spam manipulations, cartelling etc. OR if it's decided by the poster it is also open to manipulation / subjective judgements.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Justinjude

Justinjude
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Interesting concept, cumulative outsourcing would provide benefit to each and every contributor and none would feel rejected. Quality work could be expected this way but the selection of the contributors would be time consuming. Instead of a single contributor, you would be choosing several of them.

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

michaelbriskin I do like the concept and can see how it would be appealing. An issue that arises from it, is that say in the case of a logo design contest, the person holding the contest will normally only use one logo design. If all participant designers were to receive a proportion of the prize money, the designer would be paying some designers for work that he or she doesn't use. Is that helpful or positive?

In effect, mediocre designers would earn more than they currently do and the best designers would earn less than they currently earn, would that help to improve quality and design standards?

5. Webcs-Peter

Webcs-Peter
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Crowdsourcing model is appealing indeed.

6. michaelbriskin

michaelbriskin
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I apologize if I did not illustrate the concept as well as I could have. Only those participants who effectively contributed to the finished solution would be rewarded; certainly not all participants. I know crowdsourcing has been used to develop software. It would be very suprising to me if there weren't examples of this having been encouraged by rewarding participants, even arbitrarily. If not, there should be, and there is no reason the concept cannot be applied to a multitude of problems outside the realm of software.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for the clarification michaelbriskin, it sounds like something that could be of interest to a lot of freelancers. Is this something you plan to develop as a concept?

8. michaelbriskin

michaelbriskin
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am. For those interested in a cool, relevant example of crowdsourcing in action, go to http://fold.it/

9. michaelbriskin

michaelbriskin
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I do, maybe in tandem with a second concept, which I'll post up shortly

10. Justinjude

Justinjude
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Great point Micheal, I agree that this concept must be used in almost every field to increase the quality of work within short periods of time.