Cross Browser Testing

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by Lingua21, Aug 20, 2010.

1. Lingua21

Lingua21
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi,

Cross browser testing had always been a bit of a tedious problem for me up until today.

A while ago I posed the question about the best methods to employ on another forum and a guy came up with this brilliant solution today:

http://browsershots.org/

As I was so impressed with it I though that I would share the information on this forum. All you have to do is key in your URL and tick the browsers you want to view your page in. Within a relative short space of time the software displays screen shots of your page in the browsers selected which you can enlarge. An added bonus is that the service is free. ;)

Cheers - Mike Dove

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

It's a great site Mike and I've used it in the past. It's all too easy to forget how other people might be visiting our sites, not everyone looks at them through the same browsers as we do.

3. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It's just me or the site really takes time to load when you key in your site's URL?

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

It does take quite a while GekiDan, because while it is loading it is busy checking your sites in over 60 different browsers and creating screen shots of how it looks in them - that's quite a bit of work. I opened it in a new window, then just left it running while I got on with other work.

5. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for letting me know. I'll try it again later after work. :)

6. Lingua21

Lingua21
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you are a greedy guts like me and opt for the huge default selection then you may not get all of the results come up due to a time out i.e. about an 80% success rate.

However, If you deselect some of the more obscure browsers then you should be fine.

7. Sahil

Sahil
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have used the site many times in past and it helps a lot when you are designing a website, which requires you to test your site on different browsers and computers.

8. DavidL

DavidL
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I've used this in the past. Nowadays, I can usually code a simple IE hack which usually is the cross browser issue as most updated browsers support almost the same coding. But still, it doesn't hurt to check if you don't have that browser.

9. toddchrisley

toddchrisley
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Guys, I do not recommend using a one click solution for cross browser testing. While it's a great indicator to spot check, it is not a replacement for the real thing. IE and FF behave very different depending on which OS you're on. I've found many inconsistencies with tools like this. If you have a high traffic e-commerce site you do not want to be using tools like this. Virtual machines in essence are sub par as well because they cannot get the updates provided by the browser companies.

10. hcted

hcted
    uix_expand uix_collapse

We used to use that to test web sites, however, as you expand and create more brillant designs, screenshots may not be enough, some site software tools may not work right on that OS/Browser. Reason why at work, we have a full testing center reaching out to almost every OS/Browser combo.

11. Lingua21

Lingua21
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Excellent point. When I used the program to test out our website everything looked OK. I was a bit surprised though on Saturday when I went into an Apple store to have a look at our site on a MAC using Safari only to find that there was a line up problem with the navigation bar!

12. Lingua21

Lingua21
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Just a quick update. I've now sorted out my navigation bar problem. I used http://www.browsercam.com to recreate the problem in Safari 3.2.3 upwards on a MAC under OSX 10.4 upwards.

Before, I wrongly assumed that I could get away with just testing with Safari downloaded onto my PC.

At the moment BrowserCam are allowing the use of their software for free for 24 hours only. The only minor issue I had with it was the actual quality of the images it produced but it didn't stop me from being able to correct the problems I had.

Cheers - Mike Dove

13. Sam2012

Sam2012
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Cross browser testing for a website is frustrating unless you have a good tool for it. eggPlant delivers well for testing website across different browsers in mobile and PC.

Get to know about eggPlant at testplant.com