Cross border business

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by Arcaign, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Arcaign

Arcaign
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am the co owner of a business that is incorporated in the United States, however I live in Canada and would like to venture on my own and run the Canadian branch. Does anyone know if this can be done even if I register the business in Canada as a sole proprietorship? Is there any special permission I would need from my partner? any legal ramifications?

Thanks

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

What legal form does the business have in the US?

Has your partner any objection to you setting up a separate business in Canada or has he/she already agreed to it?

3. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Common Sense says that you can do it the way you want it but there are few points of consideration that you must think off....First if your partner has Patent for Business that he runs in America..Second, do he have no objection in you opening another branch in Canada of your own... Third, you need to do that business in different name...If you follow same name, your partner might sue you in US over Franchisee rights as you are present in Canada too...These are general things of consideration..Consult some legal consultant too...Regards

4. jsingerston

jsingerston
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I would advise you to come to some kind of agreement with your existing partner. If you are on good terms, as I assume you would be, then why not discuss it openly? Offer them a piece of the Canadian business or state that you would like to try it alone in Canada. Don't burn bridges. Those relationships are hard to replace.