Critique my business plan for a unique hotel.

Discussion in 'Starting a Business' started by Jshsilver, Apr 30, 2010.

1. Jshsilver

Jshsilver
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I will buy 10 acres oceanfront in Hana Hawaii (a very unpopulated area or Maui, yet very beautiful, HOT vacation spot).

Instead of making a large building I will make the rooms individual bamboo houses with lots of windows. This will give them the same kind of feel a Florida room would. Of course the entire area would be landscaped. The houses will be about 100 feet apart so people don't look out the window and see nothing besides another cabin.

I would see the main problem with this idea being that people don't want to walk 10 acres to get where they're going. I'd solve it by hiring staff that pick people up with golf carts, golf cart ride would be a phone call away.

Amenities will include a pool with a full bar at the pool, complimentary breakfast, and possibly a gym if I expand enough.

In a perfect world I have no restaurant, but in an area where the population is less than 1000 wouldn't it be needed?

Feel free to pick this apart. I know the customers will.

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to Business Advice Forum Jshsilver. Your venture sounds idyllic and a place I'd love to stay at.

I think that you will definitely need a restaurant, your holiday makers will want somewhere to eat.

Do you plan on writing a business plan for this project?

3. Jshsilver

Jshsilver
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Business plan will be in the works once I figure out weather or not I want to go through with this and I've fine tuned my idea. I'm really just browsing the internet and brainstorming ways around the obvious problems I would face with something like this at the moment.

Thanks for the positive feedback by the way. Great website!

4. michman

michman
    uix_expand uix_collapse

A restaurant is something you MUST have. Think like you were one of the guests at the hotel, wouldn't you want to be able to eat at the hotel?

As long as you're at the sea you should be fine with other things though, tourists love the sea ;)
    About transport possibilites.. I think you'll need to make some sort of deal with local tourist attractions and offer a simple way to get to those, right from your hotel :)

5. seanstevens

seanstevens
    uix_expand uix_collapse

At the moment it seems to be more of a business idea than a business plan. As an idea, sounds nice and I'm sure if the marketing was right it would work.

From a business plan perspective you will need to get into a lot more detail such as required permits for building, opening a pool, resturant, serving alcohol, using the ocean for sports or the like and plenty more things.. might be an idea to find out who is responsible for such things in the area and start being nice to them.

6. elids1979

elids1979
    uix_expand uix_collapse

things to consider

also, you should take into account the financial side of it all
    buying or renting such a size of land is going to cost alot more than doing the same for a land sufficient for an ordinary building
    all those distances will require additional costs of infrastructure, cables, cleaning services, guards, etc
    i think its a great plan and it might work, but you should take into account that what you are aiming for has its costs, and see if the return on such a plan will be higher than other options such as an ordinary hotel etc
    best of luck.

7. Remotestaff

Remotestaff
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Why don't you just tie up with the local community and get them involved via them setting up transports that shuttle the hotel guests to and from places in and around the property?

You can also set up a small business center where traveling businessmen can access the internet, print docs, send faxes, mail small packages, etc.

Also, it might be a good idea to tie up with a local bank and allot a small area for their branch in your hotel property (so that guests can do forex transactions like money changing, buy dollars etc.)

8. Marcionette_t

Marcionette_t
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have to agree with SeanStevens, this seems like an interesting idea more than a plan. An Idea is the first step though, then a concept, than you can start creating a formal business plan. If you are interested in Hotel and Restaurant management/ownership maybe you could find a mentor in that field to help you understand what goes into that type of business.