Credit card processing machine for my home bakery a good idea?

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by huntrobert25, Apr 9, 2012.

1. huntrobert25

huntrobert25
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi all,

I hope you can help me.

I run a small bakery shop from my home. I sell cakes, cookies, etc from home and also take orders for birthdays etc.

My daughter wants me to install a credit card processing machine for customers. But I am not sure how it works. I have seen wireless machines in some shops and I think they can be useful for me as we don’t have a fixed ‘cash counter’ in the house.

Please tell me what to do as I have no idea how they work...

2. InterchangePlus

InterchangePlus
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Another option is you can run payments through your smart phone or computer. We have USB card swiper and smart phone card swipers at no cost with our service.

Also, you can just use a regular credit card terminal that we can provide you at no cost.

If sell your donuts and cakes outside of your home then maybe you should consider mobile smart phone transactions?

For more questions or interest you can email me at rdavidson at bettermerchantrates dot com

Ron Davidson
    Better Merchant Rates
    888-953-1995

3. Business Attorney

Business Attorney
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Although I don't think there is probably any difference from a security standpoint, I was having a conversation the other day with a group of people and nearly everyone in the group said that they were bothered by the idea of someone swiping their credit card through an attachment on the person's smart phone.

Even though it may be an unreasonable fear, if it causes concern among your customers, you may want to avoid the card scanners that attach to your cell phone.

4. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That's not necessary to have a ‘cash counter’ for the credit card processing machine, the credit card processing machine can operate alone without the cash counter. what you need to do is go to the bank, and ask for the credit card processing machine, they will send someone to install the credit card processing machine at your house. By the way, it will be better if you ask for the fee rate before you apply for the credit card processing machine.

5. firstchoicecar

firstchoicecar
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think it can also help and I think it is also an advantage in your business if you have an access in this credit card processing machine.

6. MichaelAllen

MichaelAllen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

With so many people using credit cards these days, its not a bad idea to look into it. As you know most jobs are going the route of direct deposit on prepaid credit cards and not even issuing checks. It might cost a little money for the service but at a great convenience to your customers

7. InterchangePlus

InterchangePlus
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Just because you are going directly to a bank does not mean that you are going to get a better rate for credit card transactions. It is possible that an ISO (Independent Sales Organization) is going to be more aggresive with the pricing. When you go to a bank they feel that they have already earned your business and may put you on a program that will cost twice as much as if you would have gone to an ISO. Always check your options and get at least 3 opinions.

Ron

8. jcworlditsme

jcworlditsme
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I must admit, having a card processing machine would give your business a more professional image.

9. huntrobert25

huntrobert25
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree with @business attorney, even I’ll think twice to hand over a credit card to a person who is going swipe on a attachment over a phone.

after reading your positive comments on credit card processing machine, I want to know whom should I contact, how much will it cost, total time period from ordering to installation, additional maintenance/ annual charges if any.

Thanks

10. GlockFu

GlockFu
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Square Credit Card processing is becoming very popular, here is their website (they won't let me post links because I am new to forum but google "Square Credit Card Processing" and you'll find it). Alot of people are using them and I hear it's pretty cheap. I use wireless terminals but that's because I have employees and they sell while I'm not there but if you are the only one selling, this sounds like the perfect solution.

11. shadbailey9119

shadbailey9119
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Credit Card Processing is a touchy subject for most business owners. The decision to process should be something that should be well thought out and not rushed. Will your business strive if you process credit cards? Yes. Why? It opens a new payment gateway for your business. Processing can only be done effectively if your ISO is willing to establish a life long relationship and not just a short ticket to fill his plate. You must be cautious when choosing a processor and do some homework and research. The business itself is very cut throat and a lot of agents will sell you things you may not need, or has nothing to do with processing at all. Being a well informed consumer (because processing deals with your finances) will only save you years of frustration and unhappiness. Yes it is true that going through your bank may seem like a viable option it is not always a good idea. A lot of banks are signed up with First Data and there rate structure and processing package seems like it would be reputable and safe but is not. I work for a major corporation named North American Bancard who currently has the best product and rates on the market. We process over $12 Billion a year and service over 140,000 clients and accommodate 1200-1500 new merchants a month. If you would like to speak to me more about the topic of processing I would be more than gladly to speak with you. Even if it is just FYI. My number is 860-350-2014. Shad Bailey

12. InterchangePlus

InterchangePlus
    uix_expand uix_collapse

They may be a good solution with small businesses but have very poor customer service. Try to call the customer service number and you will see what I mean. Also, just like PayPal they can put a hold on your money before it gets funded to your account.

13. shadbailey9119

shadbailey9119
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The hold on your account can only be placed if you are placed in a department that they would call risk. Risk normally steps in when you either do not batch out in a timely manner or there is some activity (a substantially higher transaction then normal) that may need to be validated with your merchant account. Holds are not normally placed and when they are placed there is always a good answer for the hold by the ISO (Protecting the business owners financial information from fraud). Clearing up the problem by our company has always been pretty simple for our business owners for customer service is 24/7 and is A+ grade. Smaller ISO's normally run into the quality of customer service because of the way they hire. MASS HIRE. NAB has been dedicated to the processing business for 20+ years and our founder and CEO knows that business owners do not want to be off set by any issues, especially customer service.