Creating Online Video Presentations

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by Kay, Nov 12, 2008.

1. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I used Windows Movie Maker. I recorded it first with plain old Sound Recorder and my plug in mic, then added some stock pictures to it and aligned the timelines between audio and visual. The Movie Maker lets you set the speed of the frames and insert different transitional effects between each of them like page curl, dissolve, fade in/out, etc. You just match the pictures with the narration. It's getting the speed right for both that's tricky.

That was my first attempt and it's a bit amateurish because of that. It took a good afternoon's worth of time just for that short piece to be put together because I wasn't familiar with the program. There's definitely quite a learning curve there and timing it all right is hard but I've done another one since on a different theme which I think was a lot smoother.

With the second one the audio was reflected in the slides more that I made to go with it and it flows much better. Second time around, it was done in about half the time even though I did have to backtrack a bit to remember how I'd done certain things.

If you were using it regularly, I think you could rattle off the composition of quite a few in a relatively short space of time. I really enjoyed doing it and it's another one of those things on the to-do list for when I have time to go back and do more. It's a pretty fun little program and I'm sure it's capable of more than my wee snippets show but I like giving things a try. :)

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for that Kay. Creating videos like that is a bit outside my tech comfort zone, I'm afraid.

3. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Fergal, I'm not exactly a whizz at it myself either but I like dabbling in graphics and make banners etc. If you need something made sometime and I think I can do it, I'll be happy to give it a bash for you. :)

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for your kind offer Kay, I don't actually need anything at the minute, but will let you know if that changes.

I wasn't looking for a tutorial, but coincidentally I came across this one on making video slide shows this morning.

5. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Must be fate, Fergal, I think you're destined to try it. ;) That's very handy!

You can always make slides with text too of course. I signed up for YouTube just the other day and will upload one there as an experiment to see how much traffic it attracts (if any) to my site one of these days. It's now on the ever expanding to-do list as well. :)

6. youbetcha1018

youbetcha1018
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have used Movie Maker too in some of my projects. I am a bit slow in using it but at least I know how to use it. Lol.

7. pendelton

pendelton
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I have heard that camtasia is good to use, and I have seen some instructional videos that were made with it that were of high quality, as far as the video went anyway.

They have a free trial. I use linux, so I can not demo it for you.

http://www.techsmith.com/camtasia.asp

8. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Sorry, pendelton, somehow I overlooked your thread. Thanks for that! It's a new one to me and I have it bookmarked now to look into it further sometime.

Another one to make slideshows is called Wink. It's particularly useful for screen capture videos where you want to show step-by-step instructions. You can add text to the screen captures as well.

I did use Wink before (and forgot about it till now!) to make a video explaining basic forum posting aimed at someone brand new to it. There's still people coming to the web for the first time every day that need such things explained and we tend to forget that when we've been online a long time.

It's freeware too! :D

9. flashgordonweb

flashgordonweb
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I create videos and book trailers for online promotion and marketing. For short simple ones I use Windows Moviemaker. For longer ones I use Adobe Premier. For audio I use Adobe InAudition. Both the Adobe products are very advanced and require much more work/learning then Windows Moviemaker. However, you get a lot more options when it comes to transitions, text design and flow, clip manipulation, etc.