Creating a strong professional looking personal email address?

Discussion in 'Computer Questions, Issues & Security' started by Epictetus55, Jul 27, 2014.

1. Epictetus55

Epictetus55
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm trying to improve the professionalism of my email address. I'm still an undergrad student, and thus I don't have a profession or industry yet, so I need something that is simply personally relevant. However, my main email is still a gmail account I created in junior high, so it seems that I should upgrade now as I am starting to make contacts that will be relevant in a business setting. I'm at a liberal arts school currently, but I am planning to enter sports business/accounting when I graduate. For now I am a distance learning support high school teacher.

I own a few domain names, so I thought I could use one of those. I have my firstnamelastname.org, .ca, .us, .me, and .name. The .com and .net are owned by other people, and my last name is fairly common, so there is no chance of me getting any of those tld's. So I have three parts to the question of what I should do:

1. Is an address of something @ firstnamelastname.anything a good, non-affiliated email address? And if so, does it make any difference what tld I use? .org seems a little strange to me for a personal address, I don't know if .me or .name will make me look silly, and .ca and .us are country tld's. The difficulty with the country ones is that I live in Canada, but go to school and potentially will work in the US. Is there a better alternative tld than what I already own? (excluding .com and .net, obviously)

2. Given I use one of these domain names, what is a good name before the @? The first logical choice seems to be firstname @ firstnamelastname.anything, but that seems a little redundant. Is that a good thing for personal branding/easy remembering? Or is there something else like mail@ or contact@ that is better?

3. Is there a good way to manage an email address like this? Google apps seems powerful, I'm used to how they work, and it would integrate easily into what I already have. However, at $50 a year, it's a little more than I want to fork out at this point, since this address will have a low volume of usage for now. I haven't seen anything else that I particularly like, but I would like to upgrade on the little webmail I get with the domain.

Any advice is appreciated. I know my goals are a bit vague, but I'm trying to take a step that I can build on, rather than one that I need to correct later. Thanks!

2. Astrid2

Astrid2
    uix_expand uix_collapse

well for me, I'll used email from campus :) rather than gmail, or my personal sites, since my personal sites is build for personal needed, but if i can suggest you, you may wanna used the famous tld such .com (but you cannot use it) you may wanna use Us, since org is not match for personal used, you better not used that. your name is good enough to be your personal sites.
    its you can use your first name, so your client will easily remember you.

3. ramsukhsahu

ramsukhsahu
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I would say use [email protected] name.com for the companies and for business use.