Creating a Performance Appraisal/Management System from Scratch

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by alethalskirt, Aug 7, 2014.

1. alethalskirt

alethalskirt
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm not exactly sure how to phrase this, but I need some help. I'm a recent graduate with a degree in Business Administration. Started looking for a job, any job, and got hired at a local car dealership. I've been hired to be a backup accountant and to "run" HR-- prior to me, they didn't even have an HR department. Now I am the HR department, along with my boss. Who, in her own words, knows nothing about HR. In the interview, she asked me if I had any experience with HR. I was honest and upfront: "I don't have any experience, but I did really enjoy my HR classes." Shortly after being hired, I approached her and asked what they had for performance appraisal/management systems. She didn't even know what that was. So I did my best to explain it, and she decided it sounded like a great idea-- and put me in charge of creating one from scratch for our dealership. But not just for our dealership; the family that owns this dealership also owns another one just down the road and an express shop. Any system I create must be implemented at all three places. And I have no idea what I'm doing. I've got a couple books that I'm pouring through, and obviously my college classes did give me some information, but I certainly didn't expect to be doing this at my first job. I contacted one of my teachers who's also the head of the Business Administration department, and he recommended joining SHRM. I sent my local chapter an email about a membership last week and still haven't received a response. I feel like I'm in way over my head, but I want to try and do something. I already like most of the people I'm working with, and I care about this company-- I've bought cars here even before I started working here, and this company is kind of a big deal in my town. I want to do something to help them, and to prove that hiring me was a good idea. I just don't know where to start. I think starting small, possibly with a trait based checklist? I'm not sure. Basically, any advice or input would be greatly appreciated. I'm not going to give up on this, but I don't know how I'm going to succeed. Thanks in advance for any help!
    -Sarah

P.S. I know this isn't really related to small business, but I've searched for over an hour and I can't find a good forum for what I want to ask. If this doesn't belong here, or if you know of somewhere else that would be better suited to answering my questions, please let me know!

2. Arizona

Arizona
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Depends what they want this system to actually do. You first need to understand the current structure for appraisals (pay increases / bonuses) etc.

A system built on a mixture of behaviours and results usually works pretty well. A decision would need to be made on what are the key behaviours are to be assessed and developed. Examples; Leadership skills, technical/functional knowledge etc.
    Once you have a list of behaviours that are to be assessed you need to decide how these are to be measure.. what constitutes good behaviours ("at goal"), what are "above goal" and what are "below goal"... Then a clear set of goals needs to be established and again the "at", "below" and "above" needs to be decided upon... these are usually all signed off at the start of the period and the staff meet with their supervisors are set points in the year to review and decide what needs to be developed etc.

Based on the goals and behaviours a rating is given (a number of letter grade), example, A = "above" expectations in both behaviours and results. B = "above" results, "at" in behaviours etc etc...

There is plenty more... but.. this may get the brain flowing a little.

• Like Like x 1