Craigslist?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by hcted, Jul 16, 2010.

1. hcted

hcted
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Is this a good source for Job Opportunities? I have been reading some stories about it, some seem pretty fair. I just wanted to see if anyone had any real time experiences in a business transaction over Craigs List.

2. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I've never used it and wouldn't. I've read too many stories in the press about people being scammed or robbed when the "buyers" show up.

What kind of work are you looking for? I'm guessing it's web design. If so, you could try some of the freelancer sites like elance or guru.com. The benefit is that these kinds of sites hold the funds in escrow so you know the money's there to be paid out upon completion of the job. Guru.com also gives buyers the chance to search within a certain radius of their zipcode too for a freelancer.

You could always put an ad in the Marketplace here if you haven't already as well. :)

3. hcted

hcted
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Wow, thanks for the links! I got hooked on Elance and will check out guru later! That was very helpful and helping me expand my business.

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

When looking at job ads on CraigsList or anywhere else hcted be careful to keep an eye out to spot the scammers. To paraphrase the old adage, if the job or opportunity sounds too good to be true, it probably isn't and would be best avoided. Stay clear of anything that asks you to make a payment up front. If the opportunity of job is genuine they won't require you to make an upfront payment in order to receive the relevant information or for anything else.