Coworker Office Politics Question

Discussion in 'Employer Issues' started by replogle, Dec 26, 2015.

1. replogle

replogle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi everyone. I work in the advertising industry, and I was a new hire who replaced an employee who departed.

When I took over said employees work, I found that it was in total disarray. Google analytics reports were filled with inaccurate data, cross-domain tracking wasn't set up between multiple sites when they should have been, deadlines were past due on a massive scale, and much more. The biggest screw up is that he had purchased one service that was creating a mess, and another one that was cleaning it up at the same time.

I cleaned up a lot of the problems that he created, and I was commended for being a great employee.

Here's where the problem starts, he was rehired as a part time employee, and was basically assigned to me as a team mate.

On his third day he did an audit of my work and said, "I want to see if what you're actually doing is working." He went on to start harassing me over the company chat about an hour later, grilling me over my competence in my field. I ended up getting an apology from management over his behavior and was begged to give it time to work out.

Since then he has stolen ideas of mine and presented them as his own on two separate occasions, thrown me under the bus in meetings when he said he'd do the opposite, changed my work behind my back and screwed it up. I discussed that last grievence with management and they said that was inappropriate, but he was never reprimanded and continued to do it.

This situation is becoming more toxic as time goes on, and he's a friend of the owner. My feeling is that the business that he owns is in hot water, and he's back here as an act of sympathy.

I basically feel that I am an honest employee who "dots every i" and "crosses every t" and he is the antithesis of that. I say the dishonest part because I know that he has plagiarized blog posts in the past.

Should I try to have a third, and final conversation with the owner about these issues, or should I try to find a way to leave amicably?

2. InBusiness

InBusiness
    uix_expand uix_collapse

In my opinion, you said everything when you mentioned he is a friend of the owner, this means that it is unlikely he will get fired and the time to work things out like management asked for, may take too long, or may never come ¨but he was never reprimanded and continued to do it.¨
    You already showed what good work is, now you will need to evaluate if it will be good for you to stay or not. Open communication is always better than assumptions, what is management actively doing to solve this situation?
    If one day you decide to leave, no matter from where, it is always better to leave amicably, you never know when you will need that relationship again.

3. replogle

replogle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Management is doing nothing to solve it, in spite of me having talked about it. That's why I'm wondering if I should move on.

I have been given another opportunity, and I agree with you 100%, never burn a bridge.

Thank you for your advice. I appreciate it! Happy new year also!

4. CorporateViking

CorporateViking
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Liaison 1.0

Ask yourself the following questions;
    "Under what circumstance will the offending worker stop their behavior or be removed from the company?"
    If the answer is never you immediately begin looking for a new job.
    Your last question to the owner is an easy "How much are you willing to let (The ineffective worker) damage your business?"

If he continues to work there he will undermine your professionalism as well as your ability to put out quality work. He will then focus on having you removed anyway. All the while he will be running the business to the ground. All three circumstances of you staying relates to you not having a job in the future so you might as well make the choice as soon as you can to leave and not put yourself through unnecessary mental trauma if you have no horse in the race (stock).

5. Megan Rae

Megan Rae
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Office politics is very common. They say that it is not what you know but whom you know. It is unfortunate that in such situations, good employees are lost, the potential and even the capability.