Could or would you ever work with family members?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by Kay, Sep 17, 2010.

1. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I thought this quote by Milton Petrie was funny and sad at the same time.

What do you think about working with family? Could you or do you do it? Please share your experience and thoughts on this.

My husband and I work well together when we're both working on different parts of a project. We learned long ago that overlapping areas just doesn't work for us because we think and work so differently. So now he does his bit, I do mine and it all comes together beautifully. :)

I've tried working with my son and we are both have far too much "control freak" in us to do it LOL. Poor lad inherited that from me. :)

2. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Working with family members will be quite enjoyable since you already knew what each of can can or cannot do.
    And you can help each other in improving each other's skills.

But working with them also have a couple of disadvantages as seen on this article:
    -A friend or family member may take advantage of their status, knowing that it is more difficult to fire someone who is close to you.
    -Other employees may feel jealous when you hire a friend or family member, thinking it is favoritism. This may especially be the case when a family member or friend is given a promotion over a non-relative/friend.
    - Personal family problems or disagreements between friends may be brought to the workplace. This may make it uncomfortable for other employees and difficult for work to get done.
    - Problems in the work place may be brought home to the family. They may also influence your relationship with your friends.
    - It may be more difficult to create a necessary change in the workplace when it might negatively affect your friend or relative that works for you.

3. 50Cent

50Cent
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I do not work with my family because none of them have the knowledge of what i am doing either they are willing to learn. I also agree on GekiDan 1st point. Example, you are the founder of a company and suddenly one of your siblings joined and be one of the top position in the company. People will think that the "Siblings" get the position through relationship.

4. Jahan Choudhry

Jahan Choudhry
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think if the family is very close and get on well with each other and have a desire to put family progress and success above their own personal one it will work. There are quite a few cultures and communities where such a thing is common and in their culture from a young age, individualism is not as important as helping the family out.

For others it may not be a good idea.

Also it may not be a good idea for some who are personal friends to then start getting involved in business together as sometimes there is less professionalism than otherwise, or if there is a dispute it can end a valuable friendship, but then again some people thrive in business whilst working with friends and do it with a smile and great banter.

It all depends, you have to judge.

5. Tecknowoman

Tecknowoman
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I prefer not to work with family or friends. It can work but it can be work to make it work and there are so many personal issues and boundaries that can be crossed or cause problems. Work can build into friendships but I don't do it the other way around.

The few times I've tried have not ended well. I know some people who have been badly ripped off by family in business also.

6. mark333

mark333
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Leniency with family members is the only thing that would worry me. For example, if i worked with my sister and she turned up late, I could tell her off but she wouldn't listen, mainly because she is familiar with me and knows I'd find it very hard to sack her. (being a family member and all). It all depends how well you know and trust that family member, and whether falling out would put the business on hold...

7. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

When working with family or friends it is probably even more important to ensure that everything is clarified and agreed in writing, right from the start. This helps to ensure that there is a signed agreement that can be used to resolve any disputes or answer any questions as and when they arise.

8. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

most companies in our country don't allow brothers or sisters in a company.
    not sure what are the reasons though but probably for human resources thing and people skills.

9. Gary Barzel

Gary Barzel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree with Fergal, clearly putting down everything in writing is a must when going into business with family members, and especially one's spouse. It should also be done in a way where no one takes the office back home. Spouses who used to have separate work lives suddenly see each others’ work styles up close. Learning to critique each others’ work performance can be intimidating. To minimize discomfort, both partners should agree on a system by which they can effectively and safely tell each other suggestions for improvement.