Could I be a freelancer?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by Chrisj0401, Sep 12, 2009.

1. Chrisj0401

Chrisj0401
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Could I be a freelancer? if so.. how?

I got some skills that came from doing professional jobs and other things just in life.

I have a lot of creative & critical thinking skills that can be used in many different ways. How can I use this as a freelance ability and get some cash for it? I really need money and want to have a better paying job than I have right now.

2. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, you can be one. You just need the right skills for the freelance job you want to enter.
    Can you name those skills you've got there?

3. Chrisj0401

Chrisj0401
    uix_expand uix_collapse

you mean formal skills that has formal work history using those skills? or informal skills with informal history using those skills?

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Of course you can, you can be anything you want to be, if you put your mind to it. Have a look at the freelance and trading links in our Useful Online Business Resources thread. Look at what clients are paying for and think about what you could offer.

5. Sahil

Sahil
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi,
    Yes, you can just you need some of the skills to work as a freelancer.

I would suggest you this sites for freelancing.

1. Guru.com - It is biggest freelancing site, it has over 520,000 freelancers with over 30,000 businesses and employers. Guru is organized into several categories and subcategories from Web and Graphic Design to Programming to Business Consulting.

2. Elance.com - Elance is the other big player when it comes to freelance sites that cover a wide variety of freelance work. Like Guru.com you can find projects from creative work like graphics and writing to computer programming.

3. Rentacoder.com - This freelance site caters primarily to programmers, coders, software engineers and IT professionals in general. You will find projects ranging from simple html pages to programming jobs that could last for several months.

4. Allfreelancework.com - In addition to finding projects posted on a variety of subjects, you will also find an extensive library of articles of interested to freelancers as well services and products, a forum and a newsletter.

5. Programmingbids.com - As the name suggest this site focuses mostly on freelance work for programmers. You will find projects from web and graphic design to flash to software development. They even have a new section that will allow you to sell scripts you have written.

There are many many freelancing sites just you need is a search in Google or you ca also find in our Useful Online Business Resources Thread as mentioned by Fergal.

Thanks

6. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Frankly speaking, to be a freelancer, creative & critical thinking skills is not enough. Thinking is had to sell it, you need "action". If you can make your "creative" into "real, then yes, you can work as freelancer by providing this kind of service

7. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well, different freelance jobs needs different skills.
    You can try being a freelance paid forum poster. All you need to know is good English and sentence construction, and knowledge on the niche the employers are offering.

8. Chrisj0401

Chrisj0401
    uix_expand uix_collapse

from the looks of it, most freelance jobs are technolgoy -coder/programming- related. I may have some skills trouble shooting pc problems. I know I could do well with my pc most of the time.

I'm not sure if my knowledge as a consumer is worth anything.. You think my consumer knowledge is worth anything? Just incase you're not sure of what I mean, I loyal consumer to certain markets, read a lot of the industries, ect.. Such as the Entertainment industry - Video gaming, Movies, TV shows- technology industry -PC hardware/gaming technology/research, ect.-, and kind of not consumer knowledge but I know a lot about U.S. politics now, not saying I know a lot of history but I am very up to date which isn’t very easy for most as there is a ton of news on a daily basis being released.

#8 Chrisj0401, Sep 13, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2009
  9. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You can be a paid forum poster along those topics.

10. Chrisj0401

Chrisj0401
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have zero interest in being a paid poster unless its $100 per post.. :)

I may have interest in consult, or repairing some PC's around here.. Just as a learning experience and some extra cash.

11. Fracker

Fracker
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Since you mention that you are creative.. you should start writing.. this is most amazing field.. you might need to learn some writing skills..but after that you can earn alot from your writing new ideas..

You could do more as well, but since you are creative and thinker you should be working on this..

for long, you should choose a R&D field which requires the people like you..

Best of luck :)

12. Chrisj0401

Chrisj0401
    uix_expand uix_collapse

What is R&D ???

13. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

R&D = Research and development

14. Chrisj0401

Chrisj0401
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Sounds like I should research more into freelancing. :) thx guys..

15. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Research including writing too. You need to be goo in research and make it to presentation. This is of freelancer job can get good money if you can very good in research

16. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The regular payment per post 10 cents. That makes $10 per 100 posts.
    I doubt they will pay you $100 per post. The highest I have received so far is 20 cents per post.

It's just easy. I think this one is the easiest freelance job I know depending on what niche you are working.

You can earn $100 a month depending on how much you work.

17. Chrisj0401

Chrisj0401
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I know but my time I think is worth more than that.. I'm not typing 100+ wpm with no errors.. Best I can do is 50wpm with some errors. I'd rather get another crap job that pays more than posting for cash. Posting just takes too long for me. 100 posts could take days at the most, depending the topics. 10 posts could take around a few hours a day, again depending the topic and amount I put into 1 post. That is just too much time, for so little money.

18. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well, it just took me 4 hours to finish those 100 posts or more depending on the topic.
    You don't need to write a very long post on it. 15 to 20 words is the maximum I have been required of.

19. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

4 hours to complete 100 posts consider fast. Among all the poster i know, the fastest poster can make up to 50 posts in one hour. I actually doubt that the quality of the posts if the poster are completing 100 posts within few hours.

20. eddielkk

eddielkk
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think if a poster can make 50 posts per hour, means roughly 1 post per minute, the quality of the posts wouldn't be good, mostly the post will looks like 1 line post. Even for me to browse the forum and think what to reply on a thread, it will already took me more than few minutes. So, i think i am not fit to be a paid poster job.