Correct Life Path

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by OU_Engineer, Dec 2, 2011.

1. OU_Engineer

OU_Engineer
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello everyone,

I am new here and have a question. I graduated from the University of Oklahoma with my BS in Mechanical Engineering in May of this year. I graduated with a 3.75 GPA and had three years of interning experience. Upon graduation, I took a job offer and am currently employed as an engineer. However, I don't really enjoy what I do. I have always wanted to do finance or marketing, but was told to get an engineering degree, due my aptitude in math and physics and the poor job market right now. My current employer has a program with Oklahoma City University's Business college that would allow me to get a part-time MBA in Finance with the cost covered 100%. If I were to do this, would that just improve my resume for the engineering field, or would that allow me to change career paths into something like asset management or corporate finance? When I say change career paths, I would like to state that I would be looking for a job with a similar salary ~$70,000. Thank you in advance for your help.

#1 OU_Engineer, Dec 2, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
  2. TisdaleJohn

TisdaleJohn
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think you should do in which field you feel relax and comfortable like if you think that marketing is the line where you will be comfortable and enjoy your duties and grow as well as you think.

3. NewRealms

NewRealms
    uix_expand uix_collapse

OU Engineer,

What gets you excited? What sets your day on fire? The only correct path is the one you can find complete satisfaction from. It may be that you must sacrifice now to get what you want later on. But, with a plan in place you can be assured of that success.

DON'T do what others tell you to do. Look in the mirror, look into your heart. Heck, make a list of at least 10 thing that excite you. Answer the question, "My life is ideal when..." and answer that with an "-ing" verb - being, doing, having, working, living, driving, loving, etc. Don't worry about how to achieve them and don't censor yourself. When you identify your passion go with that.

RICK

PS Just wrote about this and the definition of success on my blog. You can read it here.

4. rosemary

rosemary
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Your interpretation was certainly “harshly correct”.DON'T do what others tell you to do. Look in the mirror, look into your heart. Heck, make a list of at least 10 thing that excite you. Answer the question, "My life is ideal when..." and answer that with an "-ing" verb - being, doing, having, working, living, driving, loving, etc. Don't worry about how to achieve them and don't censor yourself. When you identify your passion go with that.

abercrombie and fitch
    abercrombie sale
    hollister sale

5. Clint Cora

Clint Cora
    uix_expand uix_collapse

When I did my MBA many years ago, there were many engineers! An MBA can help you in your engineering career or another career too. So if they are going to pay for your program, you might as well do it and in the meantime, you will be logging in some valuable work experience that would look great on paper even if you were to switch fields.

6. parkersharon32

parkersharon32
    uix_expand uix_collapse

As you love marketing & finance you can go for MBA. Your employer covers 100% cost, so you don’t have to worry about money. I think you will get good exposures after completing MBA. Also you will gain job satisfaction as you will be working in your favorite field.