Copy an already established business?

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by N719721986, Mar 17, 2015.

1. N719721986

N719721986
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I work as a caregiver for senior citizens. I want to start my own business as a caregiver & errand runner. There are already a ton of businesses like this. There are home health aides, CNA's & companions. How do I start a business like this? I basically just need to copy the others.

I have the name, a business license & a list of services I will offer. I know I will need to advertise & start doing jobs for people & slowly grow. But I have no clue what to do from there. How do you build it up to a professional franchise like all the others? I don't want to look like a dumb kid with a small lawn mowing business, I want to build a large professional company. But right now I'm just a dumb kid with a lawn mower & a pickup truck.

So I get some customers, start making money & then what? How do you get to a full blown professional company & franchise? I'm not creating something totally new, I just need to know how to copy all these other similar businesses.

How do all these similar companies get going? How do they set up their company the same as all the others? They're pretty much all the same just with different names. How do they copy each other? Same with all the retail stores. They're all the same except for the name. Where can I learn this?

2. MattPel

MattPel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm no expert in senior citizen care but I'm pretty sure that reputation building will play a big role in your success.

Here is what I would recommend:
    - Try finding an area where you have a lot of potential client but there is missing caregivers. (Less competition = more opportunity)
    - Try finding a value-added service that makes you unique. Then find a niche that appreciates that service.
    - Provide excellent service to get referrals. Make sure that the senior citizens' kids also know that you over excellent service. Their referrals are also worth a lot.

Since you are planning on starting a service-based business, your main assets will be yourself and your staff. So put a lot of emphasis on hiring the right people when your business starts growing. One bad employee can ruin all the reputation building that you worked on.

Hope my input helps you!

3. atlantisrocks

atlantisrocks
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Sometimes the best thing to do is to open a franchise operation that already has perfected the business aspects of the service.

While you know what you want to do, you don't have the experience to implement a good business plan. Struggling can cost you time, energy, and money. This is where the experience and expertise of a franchise can be helpful and often worthwhile.

Here are a few ideas to get started with:
    http://www.entrepreneur.com/franchises/categories/perssenior.html

As you can see, most of these franchises require at least $35k to get started. But, it may be worth it to start out with a proven system,

4. N719721986

N719721986
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm not in a position to open a franchise right now. And I'm going more for the errand running side of it to start with. I want to drive around doing errands or making deliveries. I basically want to offer services that the companies listed in that link don't offer. I will compliment their services. If there's something they don't do, for example, take old furniture to the landfill or pick up food from a restaurant that doesn't deliver, I'll fill in those gaps.

I've been taking care of my elderly parents for the last 8 years. My mother passed 3 years ago & my father just passed this past Saturday. So now I'm all alone with no brothers or sisters, no family, no wife & no kids. I'm totally free for the first time in my life. I planned it that way. I'm getting a job at Home Instead (listed in the link), I talked with them yesterday. And at the same time I want to run my own small business running errands on the side. My business isn't limited to seniors only like the ones listed above in the link. I'm just going to start with them because I'm gonna be working with them anyway.

But over the next couple years if I build it up what's the next step? After working on it as a 1 man show I don't know what's next. How do you grow it into a big professional company like all the ones you have listed in that link? Where can I learn that?

Like the guy that started 1-800-GOTJUNK? I was reading about him. And ebay. You start real small but how do you learn how to grow it into a giant company? Are there classes I should take? Or do you simply hire somebody that already knows how to do it?

5. Edwin M. Lewis

Edwin M. Lewis
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You need to come up with some unique service. How are you going to stand out of the crowd, especially if you're a new player on the market?

6. N719721986

N719721986
    uix_expand uix_collapse

They'll call me & tell me what they need done. If they need their lawn mowed or a ride to Walmart they're not going to care if I offer to paint their roof pink.

7. Ward Weaver

Ward Weaver
    uix_expand uix_collapse

One can copy the idea but never the passion so we should never really try to copy anyone if we have the ability we can create the most unique thing but if we always consider others better than us then it is going to stay that way only so choice is very much in our hands whether we live life with thinking that what others do are better or we have self believe.

8. bburkeconsulting

bburkeconsulting
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Network, beat down doors. You are starting small, so your overhead is low. Pass that savings off to your customers. That's how you'll develop initial business, you can beat the prices of the big companies. As you're proven, you can increase price to meet demand until you're 100% utilized!

-B

9. Ethan2

Ethan2
    uix_expand uix_collapse

copy other business i a good choice if that economic sector is developing in a high speed, but if there are too many companies have already joined this field, I think you have to find out new potential customers that have not discovered yet by your competitors. Serving them, you will have a constant income for long term plan . Regards